• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Had a interesting visitor

pwrwagonfire

I agree thanks for sharing!

Even with my truck not being on the road, I get comments and people stopping saying they used to drive them...the old buck down the street is especially excited by it, hopefully I can get it on the road this summer and take him out. Guy across the street used to use M-37s in the AF in the 60's did a double take when we came home and saw it in our driveway.

Towerguy1

I also have several vets check out my truck and share their experiences with me. Some good memorys, some bad. They are always happy to see it running and taken care of.

Whenever I come across a veteran who used to drive deuces, I always ask them if they have any tips for a new driver. One gentleman said they used to bury the speedometer when they drove theirs in Vietnam. . Another said he was stationed at Ft. Bragg for two years and drove deuces a lot. One older gentleman who hangs out at the local garage (garage has been around for almost 100 years) come out to "check out your deuce". I told him go ahead, and when I came out he was behind the wheel and started telling stories. I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin, but he said no.

I love the reaction and stories I get from former deuce drivers/mechanics.

earnie

Was out in the garage talking on the phone to a high school classmate, a car stopped abruptly out on the street then went on. A minute later it was back and pulled into the driveway. 5 people in it and the driver and his son got out and immediately asked if my truck was a deuce. He knew it was. Turns out he drove one in Vietnam. He was assigned to a signal unit but spent his whole time driving convoy. Did a walk around the truck and told his son all about it. You could just tell he was really lost in the moment. It was already in neutral and I kicked it over and he darn near lost it. Said his truck was named 'CAN DO'. Said it got him out of terrible messes on several occasions. He remembered a lot about it. Offered him a ride but he passed cause of the other folks in his van. I welcomed him to come back and he said he just might do that. I hope he comes back.
this is cool
a bit of a sugestion , it might be cool if ya name yours "can do " in honor of the vet and other vets at the same time
might even be cool to paint her up and mark her to reflect his truck
just my 22cents

Catron

this is cool
a bit of a sugestion , it might be cool if ya name yours "can do " in honor of the vet and other vets at the same time
might even be cool to paint her up and mark her to reflect his truck
just my 22cents

I had the same thought. I think, I would ask his permission first. I know if someone was running around with a Green M1114 up armor named "Christine" I would be bummed unless they asked if it was ok with me.

Just that name on a vehicle could bring me to tears.

Just my 2 cents.

Catron

Don't let my last post confuse you. I think its a GREAT idea if the gentleman is ok with it!

No better way to honor a Vets pride and joy :beer:

AceHigh

No one really owns the name of a truck in my opinion. A recent vet came by yesterday while I was working on the old girl and I offered him a ride.

"No way! I rode in them enough this lifetime!"

Most are anxious to jump in though. :)

Last edited:

Heavysteven

No one really owns the name of a truck in my opinion. A recent vet came by yesterday while I was working on the old girl and I offered him a ride.

"No way! I rode in them enough this lifetime!"

Most are anxious to jump in though. :)
I agree had one vet from desert storm and one from vietnam. Both were interested but would not go for a spin. Interesting observation.

paradeduty

Its a Privilage

Yes, the stories and memories (even just the look of appreciation without a word spoken) shared are humbling. I was never in the military, but I try to support those that have/are as often as I can. Last week my wife and I took the 5- ton cargo (avatar) to a benefit fund raiser dinner for a documentary movie being made to honor Vietnam Vets (I believe it is going to be called "Our Vietnam Generation" by Visionalist Entertainment Productions). The truck is a '71 vintage multifuel so it fit the era and they were pleased that we could bring it. It was great to hear how many guys had driven or ridden in these trucks. The film looks like it is going to be great - the same guy did the one "Detroit - Our Greatest Generation" about WWII Vets - awesome movie. Next weekend we have a Car/Bike Show to benefit the VA Hospitals. Got to tell you - I am so thankful that I am able to have and keep running the MV's that we have whenever we take one to a parade. It's a little different look that you get from some of our older folks - just a tad more serious or reflective or something. Especially from some of the older ladies that may not have their better halves by their sides any longer - sort of appreciating that we still acknowledge the sacrifices of their soldiers. All of this going on and still remember to throw out candy to the kids too young (none more than 1/4 as old as the truck!) to understand yet. What a sensory overload. What a Privilage.

Dave

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Had a husband and wife swing by at LOWES while I was waiting for my stuff to be brought out.

SHE drove one in the Army in Desert Storm!!!

He worked on them.

Quite a nice couple. Said something about they were members of the deuce club....whatever that means (LOL).

After the talk, they jumped in their BMW and drove away.

Rickyoday

Great story! I've heard many stories from vet's on how they drove, worked on, rode in...a particular vehicle. It's great to see their faces light up, and the years dissapear when they climb into, the cab of the truck they drove many years ago! I got such great stories to re-tell...some sensational! The best stories I've heard a from a WW2 ambulance driver, who had 3 WC54's shot out from under him, resulting in him receiving 2 Purple Hearts! He didn't want to drive it either, but I took him for a ride around the event grounds. His family took many pictures of him behind the wheel, and of the rig, and I gave him my repro medic's helmet as a souvineer. His son came the next year to say the gentleman had passed away, and thanked me profusely for giving his dad that opportunity, he said his father talked about that day for months! I was SO glad I was there that year with the ambulance...what better way to honor the Veterans who served our country.
The best thing we as collectors can do for our hobby, is to make ourselves, and our vehicles, available to the Vets, and the public. Maybe we won't be that 'nut with the Army truck' anymore!
Rick
(If I did it right, I've attached a pic of the Ambulance.)

Attachments

Mike H

I can honestly say that as many things I have read on multiple forums I have never been touched as this one. There has always been a special place for all vets regardless of time or duty in my eyes. I was in the military (4 years) and know of the collective brotherhood that can form. It is awesome that someones hobbie can spark a positive emotional attachment from veteran. You guys ROCK.....Mike

asgtoolman

My wife laughs at my "addiction", all last year-Jan thru Aug 2009- I was in my garage working on my M-38. She watched and helped when 2 hands weren't enough, but I never dreamed she would love it like she does.
We finished it in time for our local 9/11 parade and I could not believe her level of anticipation for the event. She got her i-pod and battery powered Bose stereo with her Lee Greenwood patriotic CD and we cranked it up [the stereo and the Jeep] and drove the parade route with many veterans popping to attention and saluting us and many others grabbing their kids and grandkids and pointing at us and in my mind reliving and retelling tales of their service.
This year we'll be on the M-274 mule that I finished last month; doubt that their will be as many people who recognize it, but my bobbed deuce is not going to be ready. Wait until next year.
As Lee Greenwood would say "I'm proud to be an AMERICAN and I will stand up and defend her to the end"

jpekarek

I drove my 5 Ton to a cruise-in a few weeks ago in Portland. I had at least 6 men come up and say "I drove one of those in the war". I asked each time, "what war"? I got everything from WWII to Korea to Vietnam to Desert storm. It's funny though, my truck is a '74 so technically it could not have been in any "war". Too new for anything Vietnam and back and too old for Desert Storm.

CGarbee

I have somebody approach and tell me a story almost every time that I take one of my vehicles out for a spin. Either a veteran reliving his youth, or a familly member (had one lady at Lowes once tell me that her slowing down to admire my USMC M37 had saved her a speeding ticket -- she then wanted to take a photo to send to her husband in Iraq...). I always plan on spending extra time running errunds as I know that I will get delays, but it's always worth it.

The most touching was when I was leaving a Golden Coral after lunch and a vet came up to talk to me about my truck and then started to tell me stories about his time in Vietnam. After he finished and headed over towards his car, his daughter hung back to tell me that it was the first time that she had ever heard those stories and that it was also the first time that he had ever told "that kind" of story. Apparently, the ones that he had told her before had all been the "good/funny" stories... It took me a while before I could drive off...

kastein

Had a vet pull up next to my 5 ton while I was working on the comanche (parked behind it), asked me whose it was... I said "mine". He immediately asked me how much I wanted for it, I said he could make an offer but I wasn't really looking to sell since I'd only just driven it home last weekend. At this point his wife spoke up (she was grinning too, so I don't think I said anything that'll put him on the couch!) and said he used to drive em for the army. I told him of a couple deuces that I knew of that were on craigslist for about the same I had paid for mine, offered to let him take it for a spin, he thanked me and drove off saying he needed to look at craigslist. I keep wondering if I'll see him roll up in a deuce one of these days.