• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Had the old girl loaded heavy today.

Carter

I am rebuilding my fireplace chimney and needed to pickup brick and mortar at a Baltimore brickyard. Loaded a ton and a quarter of brick + 7 bags of mortar= 490 lbs. and 4 bags of non-shrink grout = 200 lbs. Total load weight 3190 lbs. The springs still had some arch although not much but the load was such that the axle snubbers were not in contact with the axle housing. The truck handled well with no rear end sway and the load didn't bottom out on rough road. All in all a pleasant but hot (cab temp. around 95F) trip of about 80 miles, these trucks are great. Yesterday I hauled the sand, about 20 miles, also with no problems. To have both loads delivered would have cost $125 and I used less than a tank of gas for both trips. Carter

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can also testify the Dodge will haul a heavy load. I think, though, the M715 Jeep my son had, and traded with a parts truck for the M139 bridge hauler shown on my avatar, was the stiffest sprung pickup we have had.
Regards Marti

Carter

M543A2 said:
I can also testify the Dodge will haul a heavy load. I think, though, the M715 Jeep my son had, and traded with a parts truck for the M139 bridge hauler shown on my avatar, was the stiffest sprung pickup we have had.
Regards Marti
This was the heaviest load I have ever hauled, the only other loads hauled in the 880 have been 2 cu. yds. of garden mulch, about a ton and a quarter. I did haul a heavier load in an M37, 3.9 tons of crushed stone and what a mistake that was. The loader operator dumped a full bucket load of the stuff in my old rig which bottomed out the springs and had the load riding on the snubbers and being the stupid young man I was I tried to drive to the job site and shattered the rear drive companion flange. I put it into 4WD and did manage to finish the haul but JUST BARELY. I have learned since then and that was 35+ yrs. ago. To soon we get old, to late we get smart :oops: Carter

McGuyver

I unintentionally hauled a little over 3000 pound of concrete in my M880 to the dump recently. I had only intended to go up to the 2500 pound limit listed on the nomenclature placcard on the dash; but when I got to the dump, the scales tipped at just over 3000 pounds. I won't make a habit out of doing it, but nice to know it capable without damaging the truck.

randyscycle

M543A2 said:
I think, though, the M715 Jeep my son had, and traded with a parts truck for the M139 bridge hauler shown on my avatar, was the stiffest sprung pickup we have had.
No lie there.....The M715 is stiff. I can run the front wheel up a stump or berm and lift the rear wheel on the same side with no problem. They don't flex at all.

On another note, I had to haul a new motorcycle lift to my shop in my 715 a few weeks ago, and at around 1500 lbs it didn't even budge the truck, or notice it when driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks