• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

half track tracks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have read the TM and looked at a halftrack up close and personal like. There is a guy who has contacted me and asked me to change out the tracks, install new brake shoes while the tracks are off and if needed, do the wheel cylinders and repair/replace one of the rear wheel/spindle assemblies. He has all the parts. He said he'll pay for it. My Q is, what do you track guys think is a fair price to do this stuff? I don't wanna gouge him and I don't wanna short myself. It looks fairly simple, just time consuming and heavy. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got your own tools and equipment $30 to $40 per hr is more than fair. Doing it for a flat rate could hurt ya if you run into more work than anticipated. Hourly rate for a freind is easier on the freindship as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget you need some specialized tools like the volute spring compressor. You might need help putting the track back on if you cannot use a forklift, it is heavy and ackward. I would charge by the hour.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the little clip lookin c-clamp goodies that clamp on the suspension and a f-lift. The TM show a guy using a 2x4 lever to lift the track on and off :shock: I believe the hourly rate is best. Thanks for the input guys. I'll photo log it and post up.

68t

i would charge by the hours, this will cover you if you run into a lot of problems. i have change out tracks on the halftrack, i have done it by my self, getting it off is not bad, but get the track back on is the hardest part. but it is a simple job, with a lot of heavy work. i got 4 halftracks.

dfanders

When we changed ours out, we have 4 guys...and not one had a idea how to do it ! I was reading the goodyear TM on it..and we did it in about 2 hours on one side and 1 hour on the other. Once off, we wanted to check the brakes on the rear. Found we could not get the hub off, unless we wanted to drill out a stripped bolt and then replace it. So plan on things being rusted when looking to get to the brakes.

We did not use the spring tool - just C lamps and such.

I agree with the rest - Hourly rate and plan on a call to the guy when you get the brake part that the estimate just went up !

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$50 an hour is reasonable. Keep in mind that if any of the parts fail in the next ten years(?), you'll be asked to repair it for free!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks