• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack crane

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so my years of asking customers if they know of any old Jeeps and or Army trucks paid off this week.
See attached photos. The farmer I bought this from told me the army put the crane on it. It looked like a rough install, I was not sure I believed it.
So we cut the trees growing up through it and the flatbed driver noticed a data plate on the crane. My eyes not being as good as they use to be saw the word International harvester and dismissed it as the halftrack data plate but took a picture.
So now I'm sitting at my computer and I increase the size of the picture, and low and behold it is a data plate for a Medium Crane T1 and tractor. Does anyone know what this would have gone on?

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I tell ya' what. IF that there 'thing' was less than twenty miles or more than 100 yards from me, and despite vowing not to buy anything else now, and cut down, There WOULD be waver on the vow!. You should definitely get that 'thing'. And the British forces used half tracks with cranes on for engine swaps and the like. That is one rare bit of kit.
Your next post WILL read something like.."Look what I have in my yard now"?.

Last edited:

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you think this was put together like this during WWII? Do you have any pictures of one?
I was looking up the data plate. looks like the crane was actually off of a TD14 IH tractor.
Too bad your not closer, I'd help you break your VOW.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start sending Gary Hebding (Gary's Half Track Parts) as much money as you can every month. If the main data plate on the dash is gone, the frame will be stamped with M??-serial number so you can figure out what it started life as. It's a White/Diamond T type, not an International.

GPW1942

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He already has all my money from the last one. haha, No Plate, Number should be on the top or side of the frame near the driver's side front wheel correct?

Wayofftrack

I bought this for drivetrain parts and to keep it from getting scrapped. Came with a title that matches the motor serial number. It had the same type crane conversion done by a company in Oklahoma. The frame is very bad but a lot of good parts. The track drive hubs and sprockets have virtually no wear.

Barth-m15.jpg

68t

I had the same set up on my halftrack, with the crane, the ht was a m15a1. I cut all of the crane off, and sold for scrap.It had a big counter weight for the crane. A friend in texas had the same set up, He cut all the crane off. I think southern parts in Memphis build them. I got pictures

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the M15s were the favorite for crane conversions, as the turrets were useless in civilian applications. It is amazing what kind of huge cranes were attached to the wimpy halftrack chassis.

Wayofftrack

Yes very true. With the larger cranes they usually cut the frame, extended and plated it with up to half inch plate lengthwise down each frame rail. Those hold up pretty well but not the best restoration candidates usually. I look for the cranes mainly for parts units. I've seen a half dozen built on M4 mortar carrier halftrack chassis, there is a stretched M4A1 not too far from where I got this one.

Last edited:

68t

clint, the first halftrack I owned was the m15a1 with the crane, I gave one thousand for it. I used the crane for awhile, it worked great. Then I bought three more halftracks, The T 17, I bought for 12 hundred. I am working on the m2 high speed tractor and a cckw 353 m27 bomb truck, now. You will have to drop by one of these day and see us. Me and my nephew are working on show cars to. He has got a 57 jag with a viper engine. I working on 70 dodge challenger 440 six pak. send a pm when you get time... vj from g503:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks