• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack idler wheel flange repair

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the correct dimensions for a halftrack idler wheel flange. Mine are wearing out. I understand good replacements are hard find and that my best bet is to try and weld some aditional material to the inside. Looks like this had already been done once on the ones I have. My main concern is that whatever is added needs to have some amount of taper to it. Any info would help.

zout

I am truely not experienced with item you are working on - but - I am familar with dozer blades - rock crushers with welding on what is called HardFacing.
Check out Lincoln Welding products and just type in Hardfacing.

If you have a wearable piece that is metal to metal and being an idler that will experience gravel/sand/mud you could weld this product in place of normal weld to reduce the wear time ??

Just my 2cents worth for what it is worth.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am truely not experienced with item you are working on - but - I am familar with dozer blades - rock crushers with welding on what is called HardFacing.
Check out Lincoln Welding products and just type in Hardfacing.

If you have a wearable piece that is metal to metal and being an idler that will experience gravel/sand/mud you could weld this product in place of normal weld to reduce the wear time ??

Just my 2cents worth for what it is worth.
The above is what I did to the track rollers, idlers, spocket, track plates, on a old dragline, a lot CHEAPER then a replace. with pratice, you can flow the hard face on as smooth as silk

AZDeuce

If your idlers are that worn from the track guides running to the outside, the bigger issue is the rear idler axles and/or frame may have bent over time.

That was the case on my M3A1. I was lucky and found coplete NOS late style rear ivler axle assemblies. There probably aren't many of those available anymore, except at Donald Trump prices.

I'm betting you could machine a metal angled spacer and bolt it between the frame and idler axle housing to bring it into alignment. Then when you weld up your outside spockets they should last you the rest of your life.

Good luck! Been there done that.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are probably right on the cause of the wear problem. That's something I will need to check after fixing the flange. The dimensions I am looking for on the flange are the spacings it should have between it and the inner part of the flange when it is attahed (ie, spacing for the tracks)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks