• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack project

M215

Halftrack project UPDATE

Hello SS,
This week marks a turning point in the 2.5 year old halftrack project, actually starting to put it back together!

The newly sand blasted and primed frame re-entered the barn to be positioned on blocking over the rebuilt front axle, jack-shaft and bogie support bracket.

At this point things should come together quickly, all the big stuff is finished, motor, trans / transfer rebuilt, rear suspension parts, new bogies and new tracks ready to go. The goal is to have a rolling running chassis by summer.

WooHoo!
Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it comes out half as nice as the 215, it should be world class! Looks good Karl.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking really good! Can I ask why you cut all those rivets to remove the bogie and rear axle?

M215

Looking really good! Can I ask why you cut all those rivets to remove the bogie and rear axle?
The bogie support bracket and rear drive (jack-shaft) are originally bolted to the frame. I did have to replace 3 of the 5 frame cross members that were riveted in. They were reinstalled with bolts.

I ended up acquiring a replacement frame and bogie support bracket, the drive train parts are from the original halftrack.

On the original frame, the rear idle return sprocket axle / spindles were very worn as well as the hubs. Replacement axle / spindles are one of halftrack parts that are very hard to find or even replace. While trying to find replacements an entire frame became available with excellent spindles. The new frame is from a very early halftrack, originally assembled without springs on the rear idlers. At some point it was converted to the single spring type, I have converted it to the late style double spring type. The serial number is unreadable.

The bogie support bracket has 16 wear points, the originals were worn out. The replacement (very heavy) had all excellent wear points.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Super. I wish I had the skills, abilities, and equipment to do this kind of work. Can't wait to see it come summer.

M215

Updated progress

Slowly progress is being made on the M2 project. Frame and suspension parts have been painted. Attached 4 deuce tires to the hubs to roll it outside for painting. Assemble has begun on the suspension parts, used an ATV lift to raise the crab w / volute springs.

Attachments

M215

More progress

Bogies are finished and installed, more suspension parts painted and put together.
Today I managed to mount one track, took two hours by myself using an engine hoist.

Next is to finish the winch bumper, this needs to be installed to mount the forward motor mounts. re-install the motor, tranny / transfer. Than start on the brakes, fire wall and wiring. After that starts the real fun ARMOR!
Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

68t

Looking great. you sure are doing a lot of hard work. but its worth it all. I might tear down my m3 and blast and paint. but i,m still working on the ww2 5 ton tractor to haul my m3. thanks for pictures

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks