• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack Tracks

battlecr

Ok thought I would update the track issue, in case your not on the "G". Anyway Mike is getting closer and looks to be american made. Here is Mikes last entry. If you have a halftrack we need to have pepole willing to commit to a new set to get rolling on this. Otherwise we'll all have some very expensive yard art!

Regards the splice question, here is the Goodyear reply:

Mike,

There are rubber splices and potentially fabric splices if we have fabric in this plyup, but the cord is continuous and has no splice. The strength of the belt is in the cord in this case. The rubber splice welds together during cure and the potential fabric splice is just a bias overlap and neither should play a role in this belt. The rubber is in contact with the ground and you won’t be able to tell where the rubber splice was after cure as this all flows together.

The snow cat uses track of a certain length, but it is all fabric and open end so there is a separation in each belt as they assemble it. This doesn’t seem to cause them a problem, but they probably will replace it much sooner than you would ever think of replacing yours. Your track will be endless with steel cable so quite different.

The thickness of this sample is in the 1.3-1.5” thick range. The cord is situated about 5/8” from the bottom to the center of the cord line so there is more rubber on the outside which contacts the ground as there should be.

Jeff

Thundercat's question:

I have been working with the concept of a container of tracks (about 50 tracks) since way back when we naively thought we could just get this done in China. The idea was that the one time start-up costs could be spread across 50 tracks. We have a new ball game now.

Here's the IED just down the road: the track mold. I'll eat the cost of building the jig and I'll eat the cost of assembling the first two prototypes that will be used for road tests. Steve in Michigan is kicking in metallurgical analyses of the crossbars and guides, as well as getting prices on making these in America. Rob has volunteered resources but has not found a place to contribute yet. And that's it, guys, for the contributors to this project.

The mold price: about $15,000 give or take. That's a chunk of change for testing prototype tracks. I've been trying to get the Argentinians to mold the first prototypes, and maybe the first 50 tracks, but no response. The Argentinians have an original track mold. That's the cheapest option. If they remain unresponsive, what then? How do we pay for a mold? Could/should we use an existing Goodyear mold regardless of its shape just for testing purposes?

The mold problem aside, I guess the bottom line is this: if there aren't 25 guys willing to get behind this and commit to the purchase of 50 tracks after tests, we're wasting our time, and I'll gladly pass all the data on to someone else willing to do the heavy lifting with less resources behind him.

If you want to sse the whole thread:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=228085&start=480

This may be an opening for other tracked vehicles like the Clet Track and some of the other obscure tracked vehicles.

Don G.

battlecr

Hey Guys, I'm copying this post from over on the "G" if you can help Mike Keller with any of the items it would sure help, we all need tracks so the more horses pulling the wagon the better!

From the G503:

Cost of two belts from Veyance (Goodyear) would cost around $1,000. Include the hardware and rubber and the belt approach may not be affordable.

Unless there is a cheaper belt in China. My guy there is looking around.

Another bigger problem with the belts: my guy in China has pointed out that you can't vulcanize rubber over vulcanized rubber belts. The heat and pressure of the second vulcanization would adversely affect the previously vulcanized belt rubber. I'm not sure I buy that as Veyance didn't seem to have a problem with the concept. On the other hand, the belt engineer wasn't a rubber engineer. Perhaps this is why the rubber guys in St. Marys declined to get involved in this project. China says a semi-vulcanized belt approach may be feasible. To be continued.

I'd like to air a gripe: a lot of guys have offered help but have done nothing. Guys who offered to price hardware have gone silent. Guys who have offered to get the metallurgy done have not. There seems to be only one guy in this canoe - me - and I'm getting tired of carrying the water and doing the heavy lifting while others do nothing. Outside of the track samples provided to me, nobody else has contributed squat to the effort. Somebody needs to get off their butts besides me. If this doesn't get done, the only option will be $7,000 tracks purchased in bulk. And that option won't be available forever. Think about it.

Don G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks