• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haltrack and MRAP

M215

We had the opportunity to display our halftrack today along side a current USMC MRAP ATV at a Wounded Warrior event. I doubt the old and new have been side by side much. Interesting to compare 70 yrs worth of technical advancement.
HT MRAP small.jpg

FrankUSMC

The only advantage the halftrack has over current armored vehicles is the open top. I read this years ago, when the Israelis were still using halftracks along side M114s. The report said that with the halftrack having an open top the energy of the blast could go up, where as in a m114 the blast would be inside the vehicle. During the wars both vehicles would take hits, but the halftrack had a better chance of survivors. I also want to point out I read this over 30 plus years ago. I am 100% sure todays armored vehicles are light years ahead of the M114 and halftrack. I also own a M2 halftrack with full armor, the armor is really not that thick.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

turnkey

WW2 vets said when they got hit in a halftrack, the bullet came in one side...bounce around a couple of times, then went out the other side.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Nice.

I have bumper number 83rd Recon D-1 1/2 (one and a half) jeep. Maybe if your halftrack and my jeep mate, we can get NOS WWII Harley's or Indians.

turnkey

Friend of mine drove M-114s in nam...He said the Russian A/A guns would fire at a convoy ...His rig got hit and the 51cal. rounds from the AA guns would go in one side and out the other ..No stopping as the alumin armour just keep the bugs out at high speed...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For clarification, M113 or M114. I don't think the Israelis had the M114 and there weren't that many used in Vietnam and those that were weren't there that long.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one thing both vehicles use is the good old m2 50 cal with no plans to replace it.

L1A1

That's a nice display and it's always interesting to compare the old with the new. That's one good look'n M2 you've got there. half tracks are nice but they ride like a brick on a scateboard and have no overhead (air burst) protection.

"The rolling foxhole attracts the eye"-Willie & Joe.

Matt

M215

Matt,
I actually had the halftrack out for a spin this afternoon, it does ride rough especially when empty. It smooth's out when loaded up with riders. The noise from the floor plates, ammo locker shelves and lids is the most noticeable thing, everything is tight, but they really rattle. I was thinking about taking the halftrack to the VMMV open house this year (Oct 3 & 4) http://www.vmmv.org/ You should stop by, I haven't seen you since the 2008 VA rally over in the mountains.
Karl

L1A1

Karl
I'm getting ready to start a new job soon. Depending on what my schedule looks like, I'll be there. It'll be nice to see you & some of the others. Just picked up an M548A1 and I've been busy cleaning the interior.

Anyone recommend a good degreaser?

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks