• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things...

I put everyone who posted here in a Steel Soldiers Ham Radio Operators .pdf file, but it looks like I'm not able to upload Excel Spreadsheets anymore to SS. ???? Anyways, I'll see about changing it around to another format to allow upload.

Second, I just applied to FCC for a vanity call, effective 12/30. I felt it was worth it, I never liked my Tech call sign that was assigned for me, it is long and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. The ones I send as requests are 1x3 pattern, meaning that it starts with one letter (A, N, K, or W are standard American call sign prefixes), then one number, followed by 3 more letters. There are some guys who even get 1x2 or 2x1 call signs but those short call signs are almost all taken, mainly due to nostalgia, as the earliest call signs were only 4 digits long so hams want these for historical reasons.

Will advise if and when it's approved.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,

I'm new to Steel Soldiers, but not MV's. I am however, just now starting the process of learning about green radios. I have my HAM license (KF7FTC General) so that I can play with these radios.

About 25 to 30 years ago I picked up most of the RT-66 / RT-67 / RT-68 sets with their power supplies, mounts, antennas, speakers an misc canvas from Fair Radio. I'd like to set these up in my M-37 / M-42, but I have no clue as to hooking them up. I also have the 100 amp generating system, but have not and do not particularly want to install it in my truck. I do have a small WW II generator (I believe it came out of a WC-57 Command Car / Scout Car) to power the system, if possible).

I have no experience as a "sparky" and only have the HAM license I do because of some ability to memorize and some facility at test taking. In the HAM world, appearantly you first get the "diploma" (license) and then start taking the "classes" (learning about the radios). Weird. :confused:

This seemed like a good place to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need to get this stuff setup before I can play.

I also have a modern radio (HT) that I have never used. It's a Icom 92-D.

Thanks for your patience.

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,

I'm new to Steel Soldiers, but not MV's. I am however, just now starting the process of learning about green radios. I have my HAM license (KF7FTC General) so that I can play with these radios.

About 25 to 30 years ago I picked up most of the RT-66 / RT-67 / RT-68 sets with their power supplies, mounts, antennas, speakers an misc canvas from Fair Radio. I'd like to set these up in my M-37 / M-42, but I have no clue as to hooking them up. I also have the 100 amp generating system, but have not and do not particularly want to install it in my truck. I do have a small WW II generator (I believe it came out of a WC-57 Command Car / Scout Car) to power the system, if possible).

I have no experience as a "sparky" and only have the HAM license I do because of some ability to memorize and some facility at test taking. In the HAM world, appearantly you first get the "diploma" (license) and then start taking the "classes" (learning about the radios). Weird. :confused:

This seemed like a good place to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need to get this stuff setup before I can play.

I also have a modern radio (HT) that I have never used. It's a Icom 92-D.

Thanks for your patience.

WELCOME!

the M37 doesnt really have alot of space in the cab for the radios, they usually go in the bed on the bench.. I put mine on a shelf in the back, then connected them to an intercom inside... although this isnt 100% accurate :) (Im in it for the radios, not the truck)...

regarding ham radios in the truck, that is a possibility also with a 24/12volt converter.. ive done quite a bit in this area, feel free to hit me on PM if you need anything...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the Call Sign Fairy was nice to Mike today, I checked the QRZ website and it looks like my vanity call sign request has been approved! So, KI4JSC is no more, and now my amateur radio call is W1AMR, or Whisky-One-AM Radio. Much better call IMHO for someone who is an Extra Class licensee who plans to do more operating on 160/80/40 meters than the Tech license bands.

Hightechken

Congratulations on the new call! Your new one should also be pretty smooth compared to the old one on CW if you ever get in to that mode! AMR is pretty slick!

jkrieg

Technician class license gives you priveleges on 6meter (50.1 - 54.00) which allows you to legally operate your RT-524, RT-246, PRC-25, PRC-77 and other green radios within these frequency limits. First, I had MVs, then, they looked better with radios, finally, I wanted to use the radios.
Funny how one hobby leads to another..

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Well, the Call Sign Fairy was nice to Mike today, I checked the QRZ website and it looks like my vanity call sign request has been approved! So, KI4JSC is no more, and now my amateur radio call is W1AMR, or Whisky-One-AM Radio. Much better call IMHO for someone who is an Extra Class licensee who plans to do more operating on 160/80/40 meters than the Tech license bands.
Congrats on your new callsign! Much better than the old one. [thumbzup]

DrCharles

Hello. I just discovered this forum during my search for a BC-788 radar altimeter to go with the I-152 indicator that's been gathering dust under my workbench for close to 30 years now... my military electronics collection is fairly small at the moment (just a couple of bench power supplies including a 1 KVA 60 to 400 Hz inverter, and a 40 meter ARC-5 transmitter on AM). I was in the USAF for almost 10 years but they wouldn't let me take the lab equipment home with me.
I see at least one familiar user from AMfone.net too ;)

-Charles
WB3JOK for 36 years, /0 since 2002 in Missouri [thumbzup]

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KD0LSP here...

I don't remember this in the information I studied, so I'll ask just for a a better feel of it being incorrect....

Someone told me that we can't use RT/246 or RT/524's for ham because the bandwidth is to big...

Doesn't seem right to me....
No prohibition. It might be considered rude. It's 15-20KHz. But the 6M band is hardly crowded. There are some freq's that are commonly used for standard bandwidth military sets, usually .000, .100, .200, etc. If they whine about the RT524, wait till someone fires up an old tube type RT68

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No prohibition. It might be considered rude. It's 15-20KHz. But the 6M band is hardly crowded. There are some freq's that are commonly used for standard bandwidth military sets, usually .000, .100, .200, etc. If they whine about the RT524, wait till someone fires up an old tube type RT68
let me second OPCOM, there is no "RULE" there are "bandplans" but those arent "RULES" although you will hear lots of people try to tell you there are..

They are "gentlemans agreements" nothing more..

also dont forget that the radio will probably tune down into the 10 meter band also in the "red flag" that the bottom under 30 mhz, where you see the red in the freq selector...

terratek

kb5kou checking in.
Received my first license a bit over 20 years ago, novice class. Finally decided to go for my general license a year or two ago. I used to have a really nice boat anchor with crystal cartridges for different bands; don't rem the model, but it received voice fine and transmitted cw only. Unfortunately someone stole it many years ago.

For anyone that wants to take the tests and pretty much be guaranteed to pass it the first time, you can grab the no-nonsense tech and general guides by kb6nu. Then use the practice tests at QRZ, hamstudy, or one of the various others. I basically kept both pdf's open and had the two tests open (random questions, so would reload them after taking them), ended up missing 1 question on my tech class, and none on the general.

I plan on using them as the primary guides when my wife finally decides to get her license, and to get a couple of friends licensed before the next big road trip.