• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No prohibition. It might be considered rude. It's 15-20KHz. But the 6M band is hardly crowded. There are some freq's that are commonly used for standard bandwidth military sets, usually .000, .100, .200, etc. If they whine about the RT524, wait till someone fires up an old tube type RT68

I'm trying to restore / install & eventually operate the GRC series (GRC-3, -5 & -7) systems in my M-42.

So what happens when I fire up my RT-66, RT-67 & RT-68? Do the heavens open and the FCC gods of vengeance and retribution descend to blast me from the face of the planet with their lighting bolts of righteous regulatory fury? Do the birds fall from the sky? Am I cast into outer darkness? :shock:

What happens? :-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to restore / install & eventually operate the GRC series (GRC-3, -5 & -7) systems in my M-42.

So what happens when I fire up my RT-66, RT-67 & RT-68? Do the heavens open and the FCC gods of vengeance and retribution descend to blast me from the face of the planet with their lighting bolts of righteous regulatory fury? Do the birds fall from the sky? Am I cast into outer darkness? :shock:

What happens? :-D
Absolutely nothing like that. The only thing to do is to politely check that you have clear swath of 30KC or so, right? 6M is usually not crowded, right? I keep out of the sections that are on the band plan for DX or weak signal, etc.

Someone might complain to you about the signal being wide. More wideness, more narrowband-using complainers. The nice thing aboiut a narrowband complainer is their audio is so quiet in the discriminator you might not hear it only detect the carrier.

I run this stuff at times and never had an issue with the FCC but I did have another ham tune to the middle of my passband and complain that I was overmodulated. I said no, it is a 30KC bandwidth on a military radio. That did not solve the complaint though as the guy was even more indignant and got mad, didn't want to discuss it, and was ignorant of the occasional use of old military stuff.

I guess we can reduce the deviation while transmitting but that does not fix the ensuing receiver problem.

I have a special radio license now that has solved all of these nagging problems. I'm not sure if it expires but it has no date and is apparently available to anyone.

6M AM is popular again. Those sets would be prime for an external modulator but the FM IF is not so good for AM at all, tried it. A solid state IF and detector might do.

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, OPCOM!

I'm new to HAM radio, and really "innocent" (ignorant) regarding green radios. I've gotten my general license so I can play with them, but I don't want to be needlessly offending or aggravating people either. :whistle:

The only place I'll probably play with these radios is at a rally or show of some sort if there are other people present with working radios on the same band.

Having working radios in a working truck is just the normal progression from what I have gathered reading the forums.

Thanks for the enlightenment regarding the band width on these radios. I really appreciate the help. I need all of it I can get. :-D

Storm 51

ororke1

I just took my test for Technician class yesterday and passed, I should have my call sign this week. I was thinking of purchasing an MX 6707 antenna base and a AS 1729 antenna to mount on my M1009. I know that an RT 524 will work with this but I was wondering if it would be better to get a more modern radio and if it would work with this antenna. Looking for some advice on a good setup for talking with other MV's and also seeing what is out there in the Ham radio network.

Thanks

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Congratulations on passing your test!

Assuming that you mean a more modern military radio operating in the same band as the RT-524, then that would be a SINCGARS unit. It's meant to work with a different antenna, though the AS-1729 will probably work if you manually tune the knob on the bottom for minimum SWR and stay on 51.0 MHz. The SINCGARS radios don't have the control interface to adjust the AS-1729, and they expect to be used with broadband antennas since they're frequency-hopping. As a ham you'll just be using the radio as a simple FM transceiver, though, not using any of the frequency-hopping modes. The SINCGARS will work just the same as the RT-524 in ham use... it'll just be MUCH more expensive. So, your choice is a matter of personal preference and budget.

natem

Congratulations, welcome to the world of extended OD addiction.[thumbzup]

Stick with the 524 for now.

You can go with a low cost 2 meter for some normal Ham comms. to start.

Nate KD8GOW

hunderliggur

Just got my M1009 to go with my Extra Class License :grin: I am using my FT-897 on 2M for my morning commute with a temporary antenna. I have a Jensen marine stereo with the FT-897 output fed into the stereo - now I can hear it! I would like for green antennas for HF and VHF/UHF. I don;t mind a tuner with the 897 - may pick up the bolt on tuner at Dayton this year. I have one SINGARS base I can bypass and I am looking for some more. I can have 3 external mounts. Anyone know where I can get the 16 foot whip for NVIS and a recommendation for a 2/440 whip? K3MHL

Last edited:

TheRainbowBoxer

Technician class N8KOQ... I don't get on much at all, except for field day, which I have been attending each year with my dad, who is the REAL ham in my family :D

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone interested in green radios should have the two volumes of "MIL Spec Radio Gear", by Mark Francis, KI0PF.

These two volumes cover mostly man pack type radios but others also. This is the best source I have run across for info on the last generation radios, not the newest, but not the oldest either. Think "after tubes" aged stuff, much of which still has discrete solid state components and no computers.

There's info on audio accessories, too, like handsets, headsets, mikes, speakers, and some antenna info.

Bob WB4ETT

I just took my test for Technician class yesterday and passed, I should have my call sign this week. I was thinking of purchasing an MX 6707 antenna base and a AS 1729 antenna to mount on my M1009. I know that an RT 524 will work with this but I was wondering if it would be better to get a more modern radio and if it would work with this antenna. Looking for some advice on a good setup for talking with other MV's and also seeing what is out there in the Ham radio network.

Thanks

bshupe

This thread started with the idea of publicly displaying a call in our signatures or some other way of identifying fellow HAMS. Was it decided to not do this for privacy or this still something for consideration.

I have some issue with the privacy matter but on the other hand it is public information to be had by anyone so why try to fight the "man"? lol Having your call in your profile is OK but how many times do you read someones profile page? Maybe if there was some kind of icon in a signature file then anyone interested could go and look at the profile page etc.?

I guess all of this is to bump the original idea as much as I have enjoyed reading about green radios (out of my budget) etc.

Thanks for not flaming me over this. lol

Bob - KF7UXM

bshupe

I was thinking that an image file in my signature with my call in the image would at least prevent bots from picking it up off the site. If your going to steal my information you will have to work for it a little. lol

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think there are too few of us for bot writers to bother scraping specifically for callsigns. We broadcast our callsigns whenever we key down; they're essentially just part of our names.

Truckoholic

Well, I went and passed the Extra test yesterday:) Didn't think that would ever happen! But I got 100% even! Still using my same call sign for now unless a 1x2 or 2x1 I really like comes available.

O.D. Fever

Well, I went and passed the Extra test yesterday:) Didn't think that would ever happen! But I got 100% even! Still using my same call sign for now unless a 1x2 or 2x1 I really like comes available.
Congratulations, I passed my Exta code long before I got the written, Joe WV8K ( we viciously 8 kittens ) yes I love cats...:)

Last edited:

hunderliggur

Got an AB-558 base and 3 MS-116, 1 MS117, and 1 MS-118 sections to make a 15' whip. Got it mounted in a rear radio mount (needs some tan paint). Still have to run the antenna feed and run it on the MFJ analyzer. Got it from Fair Radio Sales fairradio.com for a fair price. I also have two AS-3099 antenna mounts that I think I can adapt for 2/440. The antenna has a 1" threaded top with a center pin feed point. If I bypass (or remove) the guts (made for 30-88 Mhz frequency hopping) I'll have a spring base antenna. Perhaps a twin lead J-Pole in a Schedule 80 tube would do the trick without breaking the bank. Yes, my M1009 will look a little like a porcupine! HF - 2/440 - AM/FM broadcast. I still have one more mount with nothing slated for it (yet).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks