• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer is yes if no one else has grabbed it. It's even possible to get someone else's callsign, if they let it expire for some time. As to how, will need to ask. Another option is to do 'vanity' callsign to get it.

Does anyone know I have an expired license and need to retest can I get my old call sign back?

Vaughn
formerly n1njc

Major Asstyrd

Radio folks make sure to call in to the Battalion Communications Center happening at the biggest annuall MV event in the West, Camp Delta at Tower Park. The Comm Center will be operational 21-23 April 2011 at the Stockton-Delta KOA Campground just west of Lodi CA. Physically find us near the "Pavilion." See field communication gear in operation on Ham Radio frequencies in contact with local and regional stations also equipped with vintage military communications equipment. Equipment will include systems from WWII, Korea and Vietnam war operations. For more information and a detailed Frequency / Time schedule, please see the following FRAG ORDER posted on www.mvccnews.net.... another funny op order from POC Tim Sammons. General event info is also available on the website by navigating to the event calendar and to the April meet. No admission charge.
http://www.mvccnews.net/event_pages/tower_park/opord_cd_0411.pdf

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have suggestions on what radios work well, if any with the military antenna As-1730/VRC AT-1095?

Thats a 6meter (30-75 mHz) antenna, i have used mine with many different radio sets including ham grade 6 meter gear and military, RT524, R442, PRC25, PRC77 it is essentially a vertical coax dipole..

you will need to manually rotate the tuner on the base to the ham bands to use it with ham gear.

KE5KMR here.

Got my ticket after Hurricane Katrina. The only communications that worked after the storm (I was working at a hospital 60 miles north of New Orleans at the time) were HAM's.

We had all kinds of communications at the hospital: HEAR radios, cell phones, sat phones, internet, and landlines, all of which were down for at least 2 weeks after the storm. The HAM's saved our bacon.

I decided to get into it after seeing the good things they could do.

LC

RavenTBK

Might as well check in... as for my personal info being found in a google search, I really dont care. If you show up unannounced, open my gate, and proceed up my driveway, you will be shot. Not necessarily killed, but injured enough that my dogs can catch up to you.

Cheers! [thumbzup]
AF4FA

Truckoholic

General class ham radio operator here too. Vanity call of K6DSL. For Diesel[thumbzup] Being a diesel engine nut:) Going to be acquiring my first MV within a few months or so, and have been curious to know how many other hams were MV owners. I see quite a few.

blybrook

Guess I should add to this list myself. KC8MVW, VE team liaison for ARRL & AARC here in the interior of Alaska.

Still waiting for the right Deuce to come along, but have Mil trailers...

jvrotter

WA6JIA Just got my license a few months ago after a lot of prodding from a good friend. After I got it, I applied for my dad's old call sign and got it.