• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand throttle keeps dropping

coffeehouseforge

Hey all, I've combed through the forum and haven't seen much on the issue I'm having with my FLU-419 SEE.

At first I thought i kept bumping the hand throttle with my knee. The hand throttle keeps dropping under load, or any vibration really, even vibration from the bucket drops the hand throttle and you have to pull back to bring the rpms back up. Then its good until the next bucket load of snow, or hit some hardpack with the bucket and it drops again.

Any advice appreciated.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I've combed through the forum and haven't seen much on the issue I'm having with my FLU-419 SEE.
At first I thought i kept bumping the hand throttle with my knee. The hand throttle keeps dropping under load, or any vibration really, even vibration from the bucket drops the hand throttle and you have to pull back to bring the rpms back up. Then its good until the next bucket load of snow, or hit some hardpack with the bucket and it drops again.
Any advice appreciated.
When I first got my SEE, I was having the opposite problem. The hand throttle was difficult to move. I removed the handle, which was simple with the one bolt. I cleaned everything up and lubricated everything with white lithium grease. I can now easily adjust how stiff I want the hand throttle to be by tightening or loosening the bolt. It sounds like your bolt may need tightening. Another possibility is that one of the springs on the linkage is broken or missing or someone has done some creative changes to the linkage. My springs were all rusty, but serviceable. I replaced all of the springs anyway with new ones from EI.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must be missing something here. As long as the hand throttle doesn't turn the engine off, why does it matter?
I use the regular foot pedal to vary the rpm to whatever is needed at the moment.

When using the backhoe it would be a different story, as I like to set the rpm at 1,000 to 1,400 or so, depending on the job, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

coffeehouseforge

I must be missing something here. As long as the hand throttle doesn't turn the engine off, why does it matter?
I use the regular foot pedal to vary the rpm to whatever is needed at the moment.

When using the backhoe it would be a different story, as I like to set the rpm at 1,000 to 1,400 or so, depending on the job, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.
When moving snow, dirt ect. I set the rpms to between 800 to 900. This assist in dumping the bucket and providing more power to the front hydraulics. When it "springs" forward, yes it will actually drops all the way to stall the engine. So the original question was has anyone else had an issue with the lever spring forwards by itself and stalling out the machine. If so, what did you do to remedy the problem?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As glcaines pointed out, you can adjust the resistance with the pivot bolt.

Anyway, it sounds to me that it would be cruel to the clutch to have the idle set any higher than it has to be. Again, I use the pedal to raise the rpm as needed during operation.
Then again, I very rarely use the loader on a SEE since there's so much clutch usage involved when just when changing between Forward and Reverse. And I would never slip it.
I do not want to have to replace a clutch.

Last edited:

peakbagger

I am late to it but there are several springs in the assembly on the inside of the tunnel. They fail on occasion and that can screw things up. I have spent far too much time trying to work on the throttles linkage with the cab down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks