• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

handbrake jamb nut size

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Suffering from floppy handbrake. Missing the jamb nut on the outer-shoe adjusting bolt. It's item #1 on frame 3 of TM 9-2320-209-3-2. Calls for an 11/16 wrench. Anyone know the size/pitch?

2. Even w/o the above jamb, I can get the outer shoe to spec. Good start, but the jamb would be handy to have. In examining the cable adjustment set up for the inner shoe, not so good. There is a jamb nut on this [which does not show in the TM]; seems to be a nylon lock nut. Anyway, I can just barely get the upper end of the inner shoe to 0.015", but only by tightening the 'end-of-cable' nut [item 6 on frame 3] as far as it will go down the cable. That done, I tried to adjust the eccentric to get the right gap at the bottom of the inner, but there is so much slop in the spring loop that contains the pin at the bottom of the inner shoe that I couldn't get the shoe to stand off from the drum to enable satisfactory adjustment. At this point I found that the brake lever had no travel. By trial and error I backed off the adjusting nut and cranked the eccentric to get solid brake engagement at the top of lever travel. While this is the desirable outcome, the contradictions to the TM are puzzling, to say the least.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's up? It almost appears that the brake cable is too long, or perhaps the moustache spring is shot.

I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Distresssingly quiet out there. I've had to adjust the handbrake a couple of times again [especially after leaving the bloody thing engaged and driving a couple of miles...duh!].

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
at the end of the cable, the big nut on the parking brake cable is 3/4" i believe. i adjusted mine per the tm but it took a lot of fine tuning to get there and such. do you have the beaver tail style parking brake handle? I think they call it the beaver tail anyway...

jimmcld

I have a lot of parking brake parts: springs, nuts, shoes, bushings.

The nuts are 7/8" flat to flat, with a 3/8" fine thread tapped hole and are tapered on one end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks