• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

handicap accessible?

Welder Sam

My father-in-law is partially paralized and im trying to figure out ways to make a duece more "friendly". Im not willing to make a huge noticable mod to the truck tho. So far, the best ive come up with has been lightweight stairs that i could throw in the bed for transport. So...lets have ur ideas

Sirblissfull

Well first which model deuce is it?

I have looked at adding winch systems for full wheel chair access as well as the light weight folding ladder systems.

Does he have use of both arms, one leg, no legs?

Being disabled myself I can tell you it makes a big difference in safety and ease of extraction.

gunboy1656

In another thread it was mentioned about using a davit as a hoist. But that would depend on the injuries. I tried finding the thread but can't locate it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want him to ride in the cab?

Can he climb stairs? Do know what a boarding ladder is?

Welder Sam

Sirblissfull, just a cargo m35a2. No winches or wheelchairs in the cab. He has full use of his left leg and arm, limited use of right leg and no use of his right hand.

Doghead... no, honestly i dont but... it would be awkward to tell him to get himself a troopseat with an empty cab.. he can handle stairs so long as they have wide landings. Ill look up "boarding ladders" to see whats up.

Gunboy, thanks. Ill read it shortly

Welder Sam

Thanks brother. I think your right about it being narrow thru the landings. Itd work great for the kids tho! Hmm.. i may see if i can draw out something similar to the wharehouse ladders that are more like stairs on wheels. Hand rail and dual height ability would be nice. An extra step or 2 for the bed.

While im not overly fond of the fellow, i wont be my usual rude self to him and inclusion would mean alot to my wife, step daughter, and mother-in-law(i do like her) . Good thing is, they live in Az and only visit a few times a year. The deuce will be the only vehicle we have thats large enough to transport more than 5. We have 3 kids.

Mil boarding ladders wot work due to the sids of the landings not being open. He has to swing his right foot. His left leg is his walking/steping leg. Right leg is rigid, kind of peg-like.

Last edited:

quickfarms

1 Get the boarding ladder for the duece or the 5 ton that has the handrail or add the hanrail.

2 add brackets to the bottom of the cab to attach the hooks at the top of the ladder and you are done.

He will have a secure staircase to ge into the cab without to much trouble.

The other way would be to add a divit to the cab using the mounting brackets for the ring mount and a block and tackle. In the hospital and care facilities they put a belt on the people that have mobility issues so that the staff can grab them if necessary. the block and tackle would then be used to assit him in getting into the truck and to prevend him from having a major accident.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks