• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

So I ran out of space for some of my tools on the deuce. I decided to mount a toolbox in the deuce bed.

Comments:
- Rigid Toolbox 2048-OS from Home Depot
- M5XT locks from Home Depot
- Desert Tan touch-up paint is a little off
- Not showing how I mounted it to the bed and other theft deterrents I put on the lid

Attachments

Jeepsinker

On the color, did you use grey primer on the box before the paint? The base color does affect the outcome. Also, the temperature greatly effects the shade as well. Remember, it was 90 degrees plus when we painted the truck. It may flash off and get closer to matching, but that far off, I doubt it.

HanksDeuce

Garrett I didn't spray any primer. Just scuffed the orange paint from Rigid and shot the desert tan over it. I didn't use your leftover paint. It's easier for me to get rattle cans to match. I know it's probably off because of the orange base coat.

HanksDeuce

After grabbing lunch today I decided to stop by the Louisiana National Guard Armory in Gonzales, LA to see if they would allow me to take a few pictures of my deuce with their military vehicles. They did! Boy was that a great experience.

Comments:
1) I have no clue what color paint they have on the HEMTTs.
2) Rapco paint website doesn't seem to have a color that matches.
3) The head guy at the Armory loved my deuce. After 30 mins of his time I had to let him get back to work.
4) The yard is much larger, but for security reasons I didn't want to show it all.
5) They had everything from HEMTTs to HMMWVs to 20 ton behemoths and everything in between.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

So I decided to take a video showing total time for 0-55 mph (top speed) in my bobbed deuce. I was surprised to say the least. By my eyeball stopwatch viewing the video it looks like 17-47 seconds = 0-55 mph = 30 seconds. Not bad!

Anybody else time their military vehicle while accelerating from a dead stop to something around 55 mph for a comparison? I found a thread a week ago where someone posted an acceleration video, but for the life of me I can't find it now. They posted something like 58-60 seconds for a 5 ton I think?

Maybe I should drag race Jeepsinker after all with his LDS swap. There's always next year at the Ponchatoula rally in April.

https://youtu.be/4BObTDsXFCw

HanksDeuce

Attended another car show today. This time it was the 1st Annual 4Wheel Parts Truck Show in Baton Rouge, LA to benefit Toys 4 Tots. Little did I know I would get their early enough to park next to the big boy of the show!

Comments:
1) The local Marines brought out an AMK36 - Armored 7 ton wrecker
2) They were very knowledgeable about that big beast. 2 Marines were mechanics, third was the driver.
3) Cab is quiet enough for no ear plugs. Couldn't find info on their A/C system.
4) They only ran 2 batteries.
5) Cat powered. 65 mph top speed.
6) Web search shows 22,000 lb boom capacity at 9 ft radius.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Why is that? I know they are cool, but bound to be electrical nightmares, just like the LMTV series. It seems to me that the last half decent surplus trucks we will ever see are the 939 series. That is just the wind of change at work. When it gets to where all the military trucks have armor, our hobby won't ever see any new trucks anyway. And that isn't too far off in the future.

Glad you made it out. I wasn't able to make it to the show. Colton with Southern Showoffz is a close friend of mine from high school. The one with the Blue F-150 on 40's and 24" Americam forces. Don't know if you met him or not. Or Ivan

HanksDeuce

Glad you made it out. I wasn't able to make it to the show. Colton with Southern Showoffz is a close friend of mine from high school. The one with the Blue F-150 on 40's and 24" Americam forces. Don't know if you met him or not. Or Ivan
I saw some of the Southern Showoffz trucks, but I didn't introduce myself to them. I hung out around my deuce and the AMK36 for a while, and when the show petered out around 12pm I took off to Gonzales for lunch. It surprised me how little support was there from a 4x4 or truck standpoint. However, I did get a chance to talk to Al Suggs, Jr. about his Pro-Mod truck. He has 4 world records in that thing. Estimates it has 4500 HP. He told me there is a way to better estimate HP in Top Fuelers now, and it looks like Schumacher might be making 10,000 HP or even higher!

Dear lord that's ridiculous! That's one sick ride right there. We had shows going on in a few different states so the whole crew couldn't be together at once. Hopefully next time I can make it down. Would like to meet you and see your truck in person.

Another Ahab

I saw some of the Southern Showoffz trucks, but I didn't introduce myself to them. I hung out around my deuce and the AMK36 for a while, and when the show petered out around 12pm I took off to Gonzales for lunch. It surprised me how little support was there from a 4x4 or truck standpoint. However, I did get a chance to talk to Al Suggs, Jr. about his Pro-Mod truck. He has 4 world records in that thing. Estimates it has 4500 HP. He told me there is a way to better estimate HP in Top Fuelers now, and it looks like Schumacher might be making 10,000 HP or even higher!
I might have missed that, and I apologize if I did:

- But have you got a "pitcher" of that thang!?

pic.jpg

HanksDeuce

A few SS members have messaged me asking for more information on the custom brake lines used for my Disc Brake conversion from Black Rock Fab. I have updated my website to show my original sketch of the brake lines, original invoice where I purchased them, and pictures of the brake lines as they are now (including overspray). Pictures are in numerical order, and the new pics start at #105 and end at #118. Your mileage may vary on the brake line lengths, so don't order specifically from my invoice and send a nasty PM later saying it didn't work. Break out a tape measure! :D

http://hanksdeuce.com/disc_brake_conversion.htm

Here's a few teasers pictures. There are hundreds more pictures on my website.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks