• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Happy 10+ years as SS admin, PATRACY!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please help me wish @patracy a very happy 10th anniversary as our SS admin! The actual day was back in November, but I missed it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Andrew has done an amazing job steering the ship over the last 10 years and has helped SS grow into the military vehicle supersite it was always meant to be. I can’t thank you enough, buddy!

Here’s to 10 more! 👍🏼

-Original announcement thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/new-steel-soldiers-admin-webmaster.77588/

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't a complaint. But more of a reflection of where we were and where we are now. When I really first got started, we had a physical server. It had some age on it. And to complicate matters, our hosting company/data center was.... well..... horrible. I can't even count the number of times we had outages with them. Trying to get help on anything was difficult. Because the provider honestly, they were understaffed. Many of you will remember the times we constantly were down. I dealt with that side of things along with a lot of broken things in the forum database/software. I worked at that for a while getting the old software up to the latest version they had. (vBulletin) I can also remember the times I battled literally all night with hackers. I can remember the times I had to restore database backups. All sorts of not fun things. We moved away from that hosting company and went to a inclusive hosting platform that has made our uptime almost 100%. We've also moved away from vBulletin software as well. Because they've honestly fallen way behind in the market.

I know everyone wants the site up all the time. And they want nothing to change. But I promise everything we've done is for the betterment of the site. Some things have gone away over the years because we've basically gone from a chevy to a ford in terms of software differences. I never like losing a function. But it's also something I have to consider long term. Do you stay with something that support is dwindling/dying or move to the best option out there? I have to side with the later.

I enjoy what I do here, even though at times it can be difficult. I never got the chance to serve. So at least I'm able to help a lot of vehicles that did serve and a ton of great vets here on the site. I thank you all for making steel soldiers a great place.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I joined SS in 2009. I’m a transplant from a site callEd Big Electric. It was mostly a site dedicated to the M37. When they closed up shop, I think it was Bill W. That told me about SS. I’m glad he did!
I was in a business that sold software. I can really relate to the issues of staying current and not always having current be better. That being said, the software that Steel Soldiers runs on is powerful and for the most part easy to navigate. So hats off to Patracy and Steel Soldier for selecting this platform and maintaining it as well as they do. Thanks for all you do for us members and the hobby in general!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks