• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Happy Happy Happy

WagonMaster

Bought a MEP-002 at auction about 3 weeks ago and have been waiting on batteries and filters. They came in today so after work I installed and added fluids. Then the moment of truth. WOO HOO THE BEAST LIVES! She purrs like a kitten.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you read the TMs.

Never idle it.

derf

The voltage regulators like to break if you run them at low RPMs, that's all. If you have a few extra VRs or a few hundred extra bucks to burn then you can idle them all you want.

Isaac-1

When you idle the voltage regulator goes to full output on the excitation coils trying to maintain output voltage, this in turns causes the voltage regulator to burn out, most often the component that fails first is the output transistor. So it is NEVER a good idea to idle these units on start up or shut down. It is good to run with no load, but at full 1800 rpms for 3-5 minutes to cool down before stopping the engine though. If you need a new output transistor in a hurry let me know I keep a few spares on hand, and am only a few miles (40-50) south of you.

Ike

WagonMaster

When you idle the voltage regulator goes to full output on the excitation coils trying to maintain output voltage, this in turns causes the voltage regulator to burn out, most often the component that fails first is the output transistor. So it is NEVER a good idea to idle these units on start up or shut down. It is good to run with no load, but at full 1800 rpms for 3-5 minutes to cool down before stopping the engine though. If you need a new output transistor in a hurry let me know I keep a few spares on hand, and am only a few miles (40-50) south of you.

Ike
Is it not good to run when not under load? Should I just start/shut down at full running speed?

DieselBob

Should I just start/shut down at full running speed?
That is correct. I will open the circuit breaker on my 003 and just let it run at the set 60Hz speed for about 5 minutes before shut down after I have been running with a load on it. You should set the speed control for 60Hz and if all is working correctly you really don't need to touch it again.

WagonMaster

That is correct. I will open the circuit breaker on my 003 and just let it run at the set 60Hz speed for about 5 minutes before shut down after I have been running with a load on it. You should set the speed control for 60Hz and if all is working correctly you really don't need to touch it again.
Is it OK to run when not under load for long periods?

derf

It is good to start, immediately bring up to 1800 RPM., let it run for a few minutes, apply load.
When load is applied adjust speed to give as close to 60Hz as possible.
When powering down it is good to remove load, let run for a few minutes, and then shut down.

DieselBob

Is it OK to run when not under load for long periods?
Generally you don't want to run a diesel for extended periods with no load. It causes a condition called wet stacking and will cause accelerated wear and carbon build up. That being said the air cooled engines on the MEP-002 and 003 are not as prone to this because even the no load cylinder temp is higher than a liquid cooled engine but it can still happen. I wouldn't let it run for several hours without loading. 2cents

WagonMaster

It is good to start, immediately bring up to 1800 RPM., let it run for a few minutes, apply load.
When load is applied adjust speed to give as close to 60Hz as possible.
When powering down it is good to remove load, let run for a few minutes, and then shut down.
I apologize for for being dense, but what I am asking is it ok to just run with no load. The gen set I had before this one I would run every few weeks with no load just as a maintenance thing. Is this OK to do with these sets? TY for bearing with me:)

derf

The air cooled MEPs don't wet stack like other gens. Like all gens, though, they prefer a nice little load to be happiest.

derf

I apologize for for being dense, but what I am asking is it ok to just run with no load. The gen set I had before this one I would run every few weeks with no load just as a maintenance thing. Is this OK to do with these sets? TY for bearing with me:)
It is best to run it with a load, but it will not harm it to run it unloaded.

derf

I think Ike has some loads if you want to give it a strenuous test.
But, you should be GTG.
Preparation is the key to success in a critical situation.

Isaac-1

It is much better to run a generator under load even when doing monthly exercise, prolonged repetitive exercise runs without load and without giving the generator time to come up to temperature is a recipe for wet stacking and carbon build up as well as breakdown of engine oil. Having said that you should have no problems with running with light or no load the majority of the time on these smaller air cooled diesels, however as a good rule of thumb you will want to have it loaded down with 75%+ load for at least 1 hour in 10, more would be better. There are any number of relatively cheap options to provide test loads, one of the most portable and relatively cheap are 1,500 watt hair dryers (these are often available for under $10 each at dollar stores), another good test load are 1,500 watt portable heaters, perhaps a bit more expensive than the hair dryer option, but likely you already have one or two around the house. For slightly larger generators old electric stove cooktops make for cheap load banks.

Ike

steelypip

Just a post to agree with Ike on this: it's just like the Army says: Fight like you train, and train like you fight. Running the machine monthly is better than nothing, but better still is to run it under a load that simulates your actual power outage environment. A light (30%) load is better than nothing, but best of all is a switchable load that allows you to warm it up 10-30 min at 30-50% load and then hit it with a rated load for 10-15 min to get everything hot. When ready to shut down, go to zero load (flip the breaker) for 5 minutes and then switch off.

My MEP-002A doesn't really get warmed up until it has run at least 1/2 hour anyway, so you'd want to work it at least this long to cook any moisture out of the crankcase and gen head.

A good load bank need be nothing more than a few boxes mounted to a board and wired together with light switches and outlets to control your load. As Ike says, nearly any resistive load works fine. I tend to prefer space heaters, or stovetop elements, but resistive heating load is good in just about any form.

An additional benefit of this setup is that it allows you to easily switch the load on and off to check the governor droop adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks