• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Choice: Buy M923A2 -OR- Wait For LMTV ?

branr1

I have a beautiful M923A2 that I love, everything's working currently and I enjoy driving it around with the family. I have an opportunity to buy another M923A2 that's in basically the same condition as my current one. The reason I'm torn is i'd like to bid on an LMTV in the future so I'm not sure if I should pass on the 5 ton. I can't afford to do both currently. My thought is I should probably buy the 5 ton so I don't miss out on it and then I'll save and continue to watch for more LMTV's or my real dream an MTV. My goal is to have a small collection. I think a known running and complete 5 ton at a really good price is probably not something I should miss. Plus my wife's on board either way. I'm not sure why I need two but it seems to me they should be owned in pairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there is good points to having matching trucks in Alaska , I would guess many parts come from the lower 48 and with 2
you be able to keep one rolling in a pinch. You won't need as many spare parts since the spares will fit either truck. I know the M939 series uses more commercial parts , But I would guess there isn't a heavy truck parts store in every town up there.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it’s a really good price, buy it, keep the best truck, then flip the other one, so you can get an LMTV.

74M35A2

I’m on a lone limb with my thinking, but focus your $ toward the next one you want. I have not regretted passing on good deals, unless I can grab something at half of market price or less. $ in the bank is never a bad thing.

snowtrac nome

He is 40 miles from anchorage and on nice thing is garrys truck has a lot of old 5 ton and duce stuff. once you have driven an fmtv in the winter you will never regret getting one. Its been my first winter with mine and never have I driven such a shur footed rig on ice and snow. It is also a warm ride.

branr1

I’m addicted I was inches away from buying a M35A3 10 years ago it didn’t happen but I never forgot. I always liked the 5 Tons more I’m glad I got this one. I bid on and won a M1102 trailer last month, the family and I drove to Fairbanks and picked it up it was a cool -22 degrees. We took our F350 it’s a 600 Mile round trip. I think I’m going to close the deal on the other 5 Ton. I’ll keep my eye out for an FMTV whether it’s an LMTV or MTV I’ll just have to wait awhile. If I find one I must have before I can rebuild my truck fund I’ll consider selling one.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my 5 ton, it was a really good deal. Seeing what they are selling for now, I wish I’d bought two more, even if not quite the good deal...

99nouns

I have a beautiful M923A2 that I love, everything's working currently and I enjoy driving it around with the family. I have an opportunity to buy another M923A2 that's in basically the same condition as my current one. The reason I'm torn is i'd like to bid on an LMTV in the future so I'm not sure if I should pass on the 5 ton. I can't afford to do both currently. My thought is I should probably buy the 5 ton so I don't miss out on it and then I'll save and continue to watch for more LMTV's or my real dream an MTV. My goal is to have a small collection. I think a known running and complete 5 ton at a really good price is probably not something I should miss. Plus my wife's on board either way. I'm not sure why I need two but it seems to me they should be owned in pairs.
Alright gentleman we seem to be having a serious case of Green Iron disease with CARC addiction, I assume we need further investigation to find out if it is a Jungle or Desert kind but branr1 please collaborate if you have the following signs: sleeping at night next to your wife and juggling in your mind which truck to buy, because then we have to escalate this situation to emergency case.

branr1

Mine is Camo, and yes I’m showing those symptoms. My wife and I went on our last daynight in the 5 Ton, Christmas shopping was done in the 5 Ton, Christmas Eve church service was attended in the 5 Ton my kids have been dropped off and picked up at school numerous times in the 5 Ton. To be clear we both have decent late model vehicals we’d normally drive but it’s the addiction I can’t kick it, I’m looking for excuses to drive it.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my 5 ton, it was a really good deal. Seeing what they are selling for now, I wish I’d bought two more, even if not quite the good deal...
I have bought 16 and sold 13, thus have ended up with 3 nice trucks. Really I should be reducing to 2, so have offered the 5 ton and deuce for sale so I can concentrate on 2 and not 3 trucks. My keeper is a low mile M929A2.

The M35A3 is not back together yet (new tranny) and I still would like to make it 4x4...or the M931A2 that I've offered for sale (not sold) and make it 4x4. Its just the right frame length. I have an LMTV bed. Plan to use 16.00 tires.

If anyone considers it an investment and wants a nice truck, I have to sell one of the above two to complete the other, so I'm a motivated seller of one of 2 nice trucks, a 5 ton or an A3 deuce with 3116 Cat and fresh rebuild Allison 1545 with PTO pump drive. Comes with 2 new black highback military seats and a new (not used) drivers door.

I guess I prefer to have two 5 tons so the best deal would be offered on the 97 M35A3, It's about #4700 of 5600 made and has the Navy Coastal Warfare Marking on the pass door (could be reproduced). Unmolested ....yet

Last edited:

lindsey97

I would buy the M923a2 if it is a good clean truck. The M939's are almost gone at auction, and prices are ridiculous. You can always use a second truck, for towbarring or recovery of your first truck. In an emergency, a second truck can lend parts, air, or a jump start to your other truck. Nothing wrong with owning more than a couple of them. Need one in every color and configuration. Glad your wife supports your hobby, as does mine.

I like the lmtv's as well, but I have a hunch there will be plenty of lmtv's for sale on the private market, and even more of them up for auction in the years to come.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would buy the M923a2 if it is a good clean truck. The M939's are almost gone at auction, and prices are ridiculous. You can always use a second truck, for towbarring or recovery of your first truck. In an emergency, a second truck can lend parts, air, or a jump start to your other truck. Nothing wrong with owning more than a couple of them. Need one in every color and configuration. Glad your wife supports your hobby, as does mine.

I like the lmtv's as well, but I have a hunch there will be plenty of lmtv's for sale on the private market, and even more of them up for auction in the years to come.
Completely agree....and the LMTV has a lot of electronics. If someone came up with a kit to change them all manual....it'd overcome some electronics failures....just my 02. But then it's changing the OEM design, so would only be an assembled vehicle, not as-manufactured.

lindsey97

Completely agree....and the LMTV has a lot of electronics. If someone came up with a kit to change them all manual....it'd overcome some electronics failures....just my 02. But then it's changing the OEM design, so would only be an assembled vehicle, not as-manufactured.
Buy a first generation LMTV, which has the non computer Cat 3116, change the oil, run clean fuel, and keep the air out of the fuel. All LMTV have a computerized transmission.........

I also feel that the LMTV will be more expensive to acquire than a MTV, due to ease of operation and no cdl requirements in some states. So if the MTV is your dream vehicle, just save up and wait it out.

I would love to have a LMTV to drive because of the cab and maneuverability, but there is no way I would ever give up one of my 3 M923 in order to buy a LMTV, just not happening. I have lost count of how many M939 series 98G and I have drug home from auction, that fired up with ether and fresh fuel. Most ran on the stinky jp8 that was in them......... In order to drag a LMTV, you have to remove the driveshafts. All a M939 requires is parking brake off, and transfer case in neutral.

snowtrac nome

I have an 89 dodge pickup and there is no more electronics in it than that truck except for the transmission. The transmission by the way is one of the most reliable electronic controlled items I have ever seen. Aside from some wiring failures I saw in Iraq related to the extreme heat, I manage a fleet of fuel trucks half of which have 3000 series Allison's in them and not a problem with a trans yet. I did have one that had a tcm fail but that truck has been plagued with circuit board failures since it smoked a battery terminal a year after we purchased it. Any one with some basic automotive electrical experience should have no problem with the fmtv electrical system

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And once again we're finding that there are as many opinions as there are people who have them.

For the time being, I am content with an M35A2 and an XM818 in our motorpool, complimented by an M105 and a 220KAK (1960 vintage 26' Box Van Trailer - pre-sea container dry good hauler).

They have no electronic NUTTIN' ! Just basic electrical only.

red

Give me an LMTV for free, I'll turn right around and sell the thing. My unit used them hard offroad when active duty and they were constant problems so no thanks.

big block 88

Yeah im very outspoken on the lmtv's. I hate them. You couldnt give me one, i cant count the number of times those turds let us down in iraq. The heat of summer or the cool winter it didnt matter. They would be delivered and then lifted off the trucks and carried to motorpool to sit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks