• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard cold starts in hot weather.

erasedhammer

Currently, after sitting for a night, if I try to start my truck it takes a good minute of cranking to get it started. Smoking pretty good while cranking, so fuel is getting to the engine.
New glow plugs (60g), new fuel pump, new fuel filter (using fm100 base), replaced fuel lines to/from the lift pump and IP, new batteries (load tested, voltage good), and the starter is cranking at correct speed.
Truck starts immediately after the initial start. No smoke once running even with a good amount of throttle.

Starting has been very unreliable. Sometimes it starts immediately after sitting for a week, sometimes it won't start the day after. Sometimes after sitting overnight it'll start immediately, but just for a second, rev to 1500 rpm, then die.

Injection pump headin to the grave?

cucvrus

Did you ever have the intake off and check for throttle shaft leaks. Is there anywhere wet. It could be dropping the fuel prime. But yes a rebuilt injection pumps can be the cure for many ailments. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. But getting the injection pump rebuilt is a sure fire step in the right direction. You sure can sink a lot of money in an old CUCV just to get the engine to start and run properly. The engine is just the tip of the iceberg on these old Chevy's. Good Luck.

erasedhammer

Did you ever have the intake off and check for throttle shaft leaks. Is there anywhere wet. It could be dropping the fuel prime. But yes a rebuilt injection pumps can be the cure for many ailments. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. But getting the injection pump rebuilt is a sure fire step in the right direction. You sure can sink a lot of money in an old CUCV just to get the engine to start and run properly. The engine is just the tip of the iceberg on these old Chevy's. Good Luck.
Engine valley is bone dry.
I guess I should start looking for a rebuild shop.

cucvrus

https://dieselcare.store/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwI2a8uf94wIVDtvACh1XHgKyEAAYASAAEgIHz_D_BwE

I have used this vendor on no less than 50 pumps. Never had an issue. I don't try jacking around screws and turning things up. I just install the injection pump. Line to line time it and move on. I done them for customers that drove their CUCV's to me from out of state. They were at my place at 0800 and back on the road by 1200. Fairly simple and really no special tools required. Good Luck. I am readies for others to counter attack my recommendation. Be that as it may. I still recommend them.

nyoffroad

https://dieselcare.store/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwI2a8uf94wIVDtvACh1XHgKyEAAYASAAEgIHz_D_BwE

I have used this vendor on no less than 50 pumps. Never had an issue. I don't try jacking around screws and turning things up. I just install the injection pump. Line to line time it and move on. I done them for customers that drove their CUCV's to me from out of state. They were at my place at 0800 and back on the road by 1200. Fairly simple and really no special tools required. Good Luck. I am readies for others to counter attack my recommendation. Be that as it may. I still recommend them.
Seems like a good price on the pump, I also like the fact that they don't charge an upfront core charge and give 30 days to send it in! Around here everyone bangs you hard for the core charge.

erasedhammer

Symptoms of my hard starts have been very consistent lately, so I took a video. Smoke is a little hard to see, my exhaust tip fell off the other day due to rust.

https://youtu.be/J4d0lIhQLas

It will start like that sitting overnight, or after sitting for a week.
Keep in mind I did the 12v conversion and I am still running sub-par batteries (600cca), so cranking speed is a slightly reduced.

Barrman

30 seconds of cranking is going to kill your starter motor.

White smoke on the diesel engine means there is fuel but not enough heat. You wrote that the glow plugs were replaced recently. Are you sure they are all getting power?

erasedhammer

30 seconds of cranking is going to kill your starter motor.

White smoke on the diesel engine means there is fuel but not enough heat. You wrote that the glow plugs were replaced recently. Are you sure they are all getting power?
Ac60G brand new.
Relay is original
Wiring to the relay is new.
Wiring to the plugs is original....
I suppose I could rewire all the plugs and connectors. It does make sense

Barrman

I was just suggesting you verify power is actually getting to the glow plugs. While you are doing that, Ohm out the plugs themselves to verify they are still good.

erasedhammer

I think I found the issue. So the fuel in my tank is probably 6 years old. I threw 3 gallons of fresh diesel in a few weeks ago, and I think its finally being fully ingested as my cranking time was only 9 seconds today to get it started. Side note: It never shutters or hesitates right before it fires up, so I don't think this is a fuel delivery problem.

Just filled the tank back up (turns out I only have the 20 gallon tank) and threw some Lucas injector cleaner in with it as well. Hopefully the cranking times come down to normal.

erasedhammer

May have spoke too soon. It appears it starts normally when cycling the glow plugs at least 4 times. If I try to start after 1 time then it cranks for a long time. Considering I have new glow plugs and batteries it seems my problem lies in either the relay or bad wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks