• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Door Recommendation

wsswann

Evening gents,

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of becoming a new humvee owner. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings with the many different vendors that are selling aftermarket parts. Who should I try and use? Who to stay away from?

Right now I'm looking into a set of aftermarket X doors and have come across a set of 4 that come with all the needed hardware from Western Kentucky Surplus. The price seems good and they are the OE military look that I want. Would this be a good set? Is Western Kentucky a reputable company? See the link for their doors below if needed. Thanks in advance.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would only buy the military x-doors! I think the others can be problematic with fit and quality of the hardware. I just pieced together a set of x-doors and looked at all the aftermarket stuff and got scared. The price for the x-doors are not much more than the aftermarket doors. I don’t like the 1/2 sliding window either. I have a new rear passenger door that I will probably be selling. Shipping is the killer. I was able to drive and pickup 3 of my 5 and that saved me a few hundred dollars

Jon knox

Evening gents,

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of becoming a new humvee owner. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings with the many different vendors that are selling aftermarket parts. Who should I try and use? Who to stay away from?

Right now I'm looking into a set of aftermarket X doors and have come across a set of 4 that come with all the needed hardware from Western Kentucky Surplus. The price seems good and they are the OE military look that I want. Would this be a good set? Is Western Kentucky a reputable company? See the link for their doors below if needed. Thanks in advance.

If you get those let us know how the quality is i am in the market for a set of 4 also federal military parts makes new all steel doors little pricey though $5200.00

Hummer Guy

Evening gents,

You're better off just getting the OEM X doors, try to get them off ebay. I recommend just getting the door with barely anything on it and just get the rest of the accessories and piece them together. That's what I did, I hate the look of aftermarket doors and don't trust them either. I would like to get some of the supplemental plates, I wish there was some armored plates to go good with these 5/8 glass or whatever the thickness are

HmmwvTim

I was looking into the xdoors and i came to the realization that it would degrade after multiple slamming. I wanted an aluminum solution. I ordered some skins from twistedmetal llc. I will try those out. Mme and fmp had some nice doors with full windows as well but I didn’t have the funds for that. Though my route may be more expensive in the long run, at least I have something tangible now. I will send photos when they come in.

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking into the xdoors and i came to the realization that it would degrade after multiple slamming. I wanted an aluminum solution. I ordered some skins from twistedmetal llc. I will try those out. Mme and fmp had some nice doors with full windows as well but I didn’t have the funds for that. Though my route may be more expensive in the long run, at least I have something tangible now. I will send photos when they come in.
Curious can you post a link, I did a web search and only came up with a welding/fabrication service with no mention of anything like a door.
I do think it is rather humorous when the newbies show up and think they can domesticate the HMMWV.

HmmwvTim

Curious can you post a link, I did a web search and only came up with a welding/fabrication service with no mention of anything like a door.
I do think it is rather humorous when the newbies show up and think they can domesticate the HMMWV.
That sounds about right. It is reletively new but gives us another option of American made product.

not sure of the quality but 2 laters of qtr inch thick aluminum from the top to the bottom, I’m sure it is structurally sound. I don’t mind being a gunny pig.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds about right. It is reletively new but gives us another option of American made product.

not sure of the quality but 2 laters of qtr inch thick aluminum from the top to the bottom, I’m sure it is structurally sound. I don’t mind being a gunny pig.
Watched the video, seems like some pretty nice pieces, I did not however see any way to contact them but for social media and a phone number, not exited about that, not everyone is happy to do business on social media and a phone call leaves no way to say "well you said this,,,"
But I did send a message and will see if they respond, seems like someone actually trying to make a good product...
I am curious about the weight although the set of supplemental doors I have on the Duravee are fairly heavy that does not seem to be a problem, actually much happier than with the "flimsy/floppy" stock X doors. on the Detroit

Action

So, over $3000 for a set of 4 door SKINS shipped. How much is it going to cost you for window frames, windows, hinges, latches, arm rest, etc?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, over $3000 for a set of 4 door SKINS shipped. How much is it going to cost you for window frames, windows, hinges, latches, arm rest, etc?
Could be a viable upgrade for someone with crappy X doors, I am real curious about the door seal, it looks like they are running plain ol edge guard around the perimeter of the door, wonder how the door seal is attached or if it is incorporated into the edge guard, still an interesting prospect.

HmmwvTim

Could be a viable upgrade for someone with crappy X doors, I am real curious about the door seal, it looks like they are running plain ol edge guard around the perimeter of the door, wonder how the door seal is attached or if it is incorporated into the edge guard, still an interesting prospect.
after speaking with the manufacturer, he designed it so that it fan use a standard seal that is not proprietary. This allows the seal to be replaced anytime with out breaking bank. He has a video on yootoob of the fit. Hopefully he make a better video of the fit and angles as well as top gap issues.

I’m not sure how it is going to be but when it gets in, i will figure it out. He said that there will be a writeup with recommendations for things like this.

i could have got cheaper complete doors, but i needed a full window and these looked the closest to stock while being aluminum. He also said he has got some window resolutions in the works for these or any xdoor fit. Not going to discuss this at the moment until it is posted. I hope it can resolve a lot of our windows issue at a good cost.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
after speaking with the manufacturer, he designed it so that it fan use a standard seal that is not proprietary. This allows the seal to be replaced anytime with out breaking bank. He has a video on yootoob of the fit. Hopefully he make a better video of the fit and angles as well as top gap issues.

I’m not sure how it is going to be but when it gets in, i will figure it out. He said that there will be a writeup with recommendations for things like this.

i could have got cheaper complete doors, but i needed a full window and these looked the closest to stock while being aluminum. He also said he has got some window resolutions in the works for these or any xdoor fit. Not going to discuss this at the moment until it is posted. I hope it can resolve a lot of our windows issue at a good cost.
He said the front doors weigh 44LB, not bad!
Here is the door seal.
door seal.jpg
Actually considering the price of aluminum these days the price seems fair.

Last edited:

Hammer

Video says they will have full doors soon.
Would be interesting to see.
I like the idea of having two layers of 1/4" each. That sounds like a pretty stout door!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone. My name is Joe and i am the owner of Twisted Metalworks. If you have any questions please let me know. We are working on full doors but time is limited with all the door skin orders. I can say that our windows will be ¼ inch glass. Our goal is a water tight window.
Will the skins be the same?
THANKS!

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone. My name is Joe and i am the owner of Twisted Metalworks. If you have any questions please let me know. We are working on full doors but time is limited with all the door skin orders. I can say that our windows will be ¼ inch glass. Our goal is a water tight window.
Welcome Joe,
Am thrilled to have placed my four door order with you last night after learning of the doors on this forum. Thank you for your immediate response to my inquiries this morning.
Bests, Jim

Love this. How easy is it to transfer the window frames from old X door to these?? And all the other hardware?
Hi. Very easy to install oem hardware and window frames. Take oem window frames and line them up in the window opening and mark rivet locations, drill and install. The doors use oem hinges, latchs and handles. If you see the video, the door has all oem hardware on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks