• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Start, Black Smoke, Knock Under Acceleration, No Power (After Injection Pump Swap)

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Injection Pump Swap:

1. I DID NOT pull the valve cover to check valve train.

2. I'm pretty sure I verified marks on old pump were in same place before I pulled it (91% sure?)

3. I DID align the pointer on the cank to LDT mark (this is what my engine type is on the engine plate)

4. I DID align the top pointer to correct posion on the NOS injection pump through the top window.

5. I DID verify the tooth on the NOS hydraulic head was in correct position through the side window.

Engine is still hard to start (did not fix original problem and reason I swapped pump).
It idles OK! once its running.

However, NOW the truck has lots of black smoke.

Under accelleration, it has NO power and sounds like a monkey pounding on the block with a ball peen hammer. (detonation, knocking? OR engine damage?)

I'm going to check the timing again to valve train- but am I wasing my time?
Can the truck run with crank timing out by a whole rotation?
All the marks were dead nuts on target.

Not sure what to do now.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuel will start with the injection timing 180 degrees out and will behave very much as you describe. Hard to start, often on ether only, will run, make unhappy noises and doesn't have power.

Worth checking timing. You can verify TDC without taking front valve cover off by checking #2 cylinder rockers through oil filler, but may be best to pop valve cover off for this one....

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rockers. OK!

Crank. OK!

Pump Top Window. OK!

Do not see a red tooth for hydraulic head!
But I do not see a pointer either? :/

Pics attached. I think I need to disconnect and rotate the injection pump another revolution.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep - red tooth is 180 out when I disconneted and rotated the IP!

Unfortunately, I pulled the threads out of one of the three IP pulley bolts when re-tightening it.

SO - I guess I will be trying to figure out which size helicoil to repair it.

Dammit.

So close!

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh @7Dust , this blows! At least you solved the mystery of the injection timing. I find it crazy how easy it is to get this wrong!
I hope that Murphy is fast asleep for the reminder of the repairs! :)
Helicoil went OK.

Buttoned up front cover and it fired immediately and idled

Murphy wasn’t asleep tho. My NOS number 1 injector hardline is broken and there is fuel allllll over the front end.

I will try my old hard line and if that doesn’t work, maybe I can have the end repaired. Not sure.

Sigh.

Attachments