• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard start under32°

I don't think my glow plugs are heating up. I have power to them but won't start without starting fluid. Had no issues last year. My question is will autolite 1110 glow plugs work without modification other than the spade connectors? Thanks in advance.

Keith_J

You should feel warmth around the terminals after one preglow. Are you sure they are getting power? ANY starting fluid is dangerous with these engines.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a step by step procedure for No Start in the TM 9-2320-289-20 troubleshooting section.

Glowplugs do wear out.

Last edited:
Definitely getting power didn't feel for heat. I don't like using the fluid but have no choice till I short out the problem. The truck is my daily driver with all my tools and equipment in it. I can get the autolite glow plugs in stock. Have to order anything else.

Keith_J

How many miles on the engine? More importantly, how many starts on the starter? Faster spinning engines start easier. Because the air is hotter in a faster spinning engine, making less ignition delay.

38000 miles starter turns fine. Found the test in the tm so I will check the glow plugs in the am. I just don't want to change the way they work with a hacked in switch because the relay is cycling and the wait light works

MarcusOReallyus

Do you still have the stock resistor bank? Or has that been bypassed? I just yanked mine, and found it's measuring .5 ohms, when it should be measuring half that. I measured it just for giggles because another member measured the same value with his, and with a replacement he bought. It's something you should check if the resistors have not been bypassed.

Skinny

I used to go wheeling out by you Rick, long gone are the days of Paragon Park :(

These cold temps will really cause havoc if you have multiple systems starting to fail. Really go through your batteries, charging, starting, GP, and fuel delivery systems. Any one will cause a hard start because working glow plugs are great but when the engine cranks slow due to a failing starter or weak batteries...problems come up.

Starter and batteries good have a dipstick heater I know its not the best heater but truck won't start even with starting fluid if I don't plug it in. 99%sure it is the glow plugs they look like OE but to **** cold to mess with it ttoday -25 wind chill. Thanks for all the advice.

sandcobra164

My CUCV will start in 13 degree weather at a bump of the starter. I run AC60G's and I have gotten rid of the resistor behind the air cleaner housing and routed the feed wire to the 12V bus bar as outlined in the Doghead Bypass sticky. I went through the headache of removing swollen plugs 2 times prior to following the advice being offered here but the truck has been equipped this way for over 4 years now and I'll bet it'll start right now in Georgia's cold 20 degree weather at the moment!!! The original system with the resistor pack works fine so long as the resistor is good and all 8 glowplugs are in good shape. Let one drop out, the rest see 14 volts, 2 drop out, the rest see 16 volts and so on they burn out in short order once the first one goes. The glowplugs for these trucks are 12 volt, let them have 12 volts!