• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard starting on this cold 60 deg day

RaggedyMan

Rhetorical rant
Thought I would drive "Jules" (When I was thinking of a name for my truck a friend said "that is such a bad mother *****r", think Pulp Fiction)..... but I digress, thought I would drive Jules to the big box hardware store. When I went to warm him up I didn't think it was going to start, never had any indication of hard starting. So now I'm thinking I'll just have to park it for the winter. :cry:
Just kidding......I think, I know one hard start doesn't necessarily mean anything but that's how my mind works, besides it gives me something to worry about.

JDToumanian

Unless your engine is really clapped out, I would blame something other than the weather... My deuce starts the same - that is, instantly - right down to freezing. I've started it on a 25 degree morning covered with snow and it only cranked maybe 1 second. If it's not clapped out, I'd check any rubber fuel lines and o-rings, and make sure your in-tank pump is running. Maybe the cooler weather caused some tiny crack or hole to let a little bit of air into the system.

Jon

IMG_0085.jpg

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

That and adjust valves,

Very easy to do and mine started soo much quicker in winter with more pep,,, it should be done anyway

Last edited:

Akicita

If it started fine before, I'd start with checking the tank, fuel filters and lines. I replaced my original fuel filters from last century with spin-on filters and haven't had a problem since. Even on cold days when ice and snow are on the ground and the cold wind is a-blowing, the Deuce is the one vehicle that starts right up outside my house.

rustystud

I agree with all the previous posts here. You probably have a fuel problem and the weather was nice enough to show you ! Now you can fix it before it becomes a major problem. Are you still running the original fuel lines ? Remember rubber hose has a fixed life expectancy and will start to deteriorate. Sometimes from the inside out.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I had a similar problem when the temp got down to around 40 degrees. So I started by changing the primary filter, and when I drained it I noticed moisture in the fuel. Changed out the secondary filters as well, and treated the fuel with a popular diesel additive (white or silver bottle can't remember the name) that removes moisture from the system, and that seemed to solve the problem.

RaggedyMan

Was out of town for the weekend so I thought I'd give it a try a little while ago and it's even cooler today. Decided I would let the tank pump run a little bit longer (something I failed to do last time) but when I turned the switch, nothing.....I had one dead battery (but that's a different post). So, reading through the responses; Checking the rubber fuel lines is certainly a good idea, the fuel has been in the tank 2-3 weeks, it's almost full and has maybe 10 gals of 5 micron filtered wmo in it and additive. Adjusting the valves; something I've never done but I'm sure the TM's spell it out. I installed spin on filters about 50 miles ago but I will check the primary for trash/water. I'll advise as this progresses.

Thank you guys for the responses. Naturally I'll have to get the battery situation thing worked out first but if you have any other ideas I'm all ears

RaggedyMan

Yeah, so I charged the battery overnight and when I went to start it this morning it took a while but finally started. I let the in-tank pump run a bit hoping that would do it but no luck. After work I guess I'll start checking for water or trash in the system.

RaggedyMan

I put two new 31 series batteries in (31p30 I think) and no more problems, ordered them on line to pick up at AA. With discount code trt30 I saved about $84 (had to order each one separately in order to save the most)

Conclusion; get rid of those "Barbie" batteries and install the proper batteries. I did have to modify my plastic battery box to hold them but it was a simple "reverse the bolts holding the battery box handles".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks