• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Starting (sorta)

khamill2000

84 CUCV will not start unless I give it 1/2-3/4 pedal while cranking. Once started it runs fine. None of my other diesels require any pedal. Any idea what is causing this and how to remedy?

khamill2000

Air filter, fuel filter, battery strength and starter condition. Plus the already mentioned glow plugs.
All are new except the fuel filter. I had to use it on my 87 and haven’t bought another yet. I’ll get it ordered. Starter is a Powermaster that spins it really well.

87cr250r

At 40F the truck manual recommends holding the pedal at 1/2 throttle during start.

At 90F it will start without the glow plugs of you hold the throttle at 1/2.

It sounds like you have a glow plug problem. Can you hear the relay cycling during a start?

khamill2000

At 40F the truck manual recommends holding the pedal at 1/2 throttle during start.

At 90F it will start without the glow plugs of you hold the throttle at 1/2.

It sounds like you have a glow plug problem. Can you hear the relay cycling during a start?
Relay is cycling and new filter is ordered.
I went ahead and started it today without using the pedal. Temp was about 85 and it took about 5 seconds of cranking before it would fire and 8-10 before it started.

87cr250r

Relay is cycling and new filter is ordered.
I went ahead and started it today without using the pedal. Temp was about 85 and it took about 5 seconds of cranking before it would fire and 8-10 before it started.
That sounds like 8 burned out glow plugs. You have an ohmmeter?

khamill2000

Was kind of waiting for further instruction (to replace the 2 defective glow plugs) but I went ahead and did it anyway. Both tested bad out of the vehicle as well. This can be considered resolved. Ambient temp of 78 and fired right up with no pedal. Mr Barman, thank you for the mentoring. My apologies for my tardiness in updating. I have several more 6.2 and 6.5 projects I am working.

Follow up statement and questions: both glow plugs came out rather easily. I bought the extractor from Leroy Diesel but once they were broke loose (which hardly took any effort), I was able to spin them out with fingers.
Q1: should I replace the rest of them?
Q2: How can I identify the glow plugs I removed? AC DELCO 0 100 271 107 10.5V

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Was kind of waiting for further instruction (to replace the 2 defective glow plugs) but I went ahead and did it anyway. Both tested bad out of the vehicle as well. This can be considered resolved. Ambient temp of 78 and fired right up with no pedal. Mr Barman, thank you for the mentoring. My apologies for my tardiness in updating. I have several more 6.2 and 6.5 projects I am working.

Follow up statement and questions: both glow plugs came out rather easily. I bought the extractor from Leroy Diesel but once they were broke loose (which hardly took any effort), I was able to spin them out with fingers.
Q1: should I replace the rest of them?
Q2: How can I identify the glow plugs I removed? AC DELCO 0 100 271 107 10.5V
Everybody has an opinion, but if you know you had two bad GP's and replaced them - and you tested and the others are functioning - I'm not sure if it was my money I would replace working GP's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks