• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard to Find Starter Part for 855 Cummins

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings! While doing a visual inspection on my M925 Sunday after hauling logs for a few days I noticed the short (bent in a right angle) copper strap connecting the starter solenoid to the starter it'self was almost burned through. Probably connection got corroded then hot while extended cranking in cold weather.

No luck with Napa or other local parts houses, called Idaho Motor Pool and they didn't have any parts just complete starters. Tried a local starter rebuild shop and they wouldn't talk to me without the missing number tag on the starter.

Anyone got a starter core they would sell this strap off of or can point me in the right direction to find this little part?

Thanks in advance!
BS

Ajax MD

Couldn't you fabricate this out of any ordinary, heavy braided grounding strap and put bolt-eyes on it?

Wow- that's a lot of weight and the truck isn't even squatting. :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think if the strap is suspect then other components in the starter & solenoid could be out of spec.
74m35a2 sells a high torque gear reduction unit that draws less amps and turns over quicker.

Might be worth investing the time and $ on an up grade :)

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of the replies, been out of touch during the holidays. As for the pic, snow took down a bunch of trees last winter, just now getting them out. Couldn't stack enough logs on that truck to make it seem loaded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks