• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Project

WCJIV

I received my new hard top from Memphis Equipment yesterday and set out to install it today. I changed out my windshield with a new one at the same time. The top is fiberglass but they will be getting 300 metal ones in as the company who used to make them just got an order from Uncle Sam to make 2500 more so Memphis got to add on the 300. fiberglass is 975 metal is 1475. Waiting for paint to dry to put top back on.

Attachments

WCJIV

Rear Window

Jeff, I assume they sell the rear window seperately as they stock the top without the window and add it if you request it. My sales person in parts was ED and he has been quite helpful over the past several months.

WCJIV

Window seals

I haven't figured out the window seals yet. The top came with a 1 inch wide stip of 1/8' foam material which I am not sure if it fits between the windshield or is to be applied to the window channel areas. I hate to put the foam on as it looks like it will detract from the overall look. Here in Florida we are always trying to figure out how to get air in the cab as opposed to keeping it out. I have new window regulators and channels for the doors that I am going to replace next as the windows sure wobble and are not square. Once I get the fixed I will go back and see what works best on the top. This top is a 1000% improvement over the soft top I had.

Attachments

devilman96

Nice job Walter and another SF MV'er??? cool!!! ... That window deal is one thing I keep looking at and thinking about... Window seals... Someone... Some where... at some point... mentioned to me that a deuce sure could use a upper window frame and I kinda dismissed it at the time as being to big of a pain in the arse to bother with... The more I have thought about it the more I regret saying such so quickly.

I have all new rubber, guides, etc for mine and I am still thinking that I am not going to be happy with the fit in the end... To much flex to the glass when you shut the door and not enough adjustment in the cab its self to get it all squared up properly... At least with a window frame you would be able to adjust your frame and glass then adjust the cab to the frame and get a good fit.

Anyone smell that??? Its my brain going into OD... lol

Desert Rat

I suggested that very concept a few years back. I haven't forgotten it either, just got busy with all the other projects going on in my life. However, with a bit of fortune and blessing, I'll hopefully come up with my solution sometime soon.

m35a2cowner

Top Question

Went to an auction and bought a nice looking almost new metal top for the deuce. The tag said it fit 2 1/2 and 5 ton. But.... its a bit to wide, about 10 inches to wide. Otherwise, everything else seems to fit. Anyone ever cut that much out of a top before? I didn't pay a lot for it so I don't mind incurring the extra costs/work Thanks

houdel

Warrn - Very nice looking truck. Glad to see someone with a sucky window fit like mine! A comment on the star on your front bumper - the last reg I read says the star should be centered on the bumper and fit within a 3" diameter circle.

Now that the nastiness is out of the way, what brand/model muffler are you running? How well does it cut down on exhaust noise? Is it straight through or chambered? I've been looking at the Edlebrock diesel muffler, it is a 9" dia x 24" long muffler, chambered with scavenge effect, but it only comes in 4" inlet/outlet, yours appears to be 3-1/2" inlet/outlet. Are you satisfied with it?

rwelker

hardtop project

Hi all,
I read the about the interest a few of you had about upper window frames. I did just that about 3 years ago and they work great. I took 1" x 2" square metal tube and cut off the one wall on the 1" side. Welded to my door and got channel liner from J.C Whitney. They work great. My top is a self made one but the doors seal really well. I'll take some pictures and post them this weekend. It's hard to tell that the truck has been modified to the untrained eye. I've even had past military (recent) guys look at the truck and say "something looks different but I can't tell what". It's not a hard project; tools required are a sawzall, wire feed welder and about an afternoon of time. I'll post soon. Rick (it's not the deuce in my avatar).

Armada

RE: hardtop project

Very nice job Walt! Good looking truck!
All you need is an A/C unit mounted on the roof of the cab and you'll be all set for the hot humid FL summers... :)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Trying to use the search function but cant find the answer. Anybody know if the fiberglass reproduction hard top from an M37 is the same as an M35? I found a guy with an M37 hard top and am interested in buying it if it will fit on my M35. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks