• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Redo

spentshell

Im currently redoing my hard top due to the ugly fact of our friend rust not, which by the way never sleeps. Im not sure of the best way to approach the rust on the top section. I have in my arsenal the usual wire wheel,sander and rust converter which works great. Im not sure but it looks like if I wire wheel the top im going to end up with pin holes in, what is the best way to attack this if I do end up with holes? Bondo or glazing putty is what im thinking, any input would be helpful.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used some stuff called dura-glass (I think) on some rust holes in a CUCV hood. It's like bondo but has fiberglass in it and is supposed to hold up better than bondo. This stuff is what a body man told me to use and I was well pleased with the finished product.

Gastrap

I used some stuff called dura-glass (I think) on some rust holes in a CUCV hood. It's like bondo but has fiberglass in it and is supposed to hold up better than bondo. This stuff is what a body man told me to use and I was well pleased with the finished product.
Its good stuff!
I had some at work called "Kitty Hair" or something like that.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks good, Spentshell. Did yours have the typical depression on the top?

98hd

You could fill the holes w/ lead. Personally I would hate to put any bondo on one of these vehilces. Also, it would seem the bondo or fiberglass would eventually lift if there were any rust at all left on the surface.

I've seen some fiberglass rust repairs in the past and they did NOT turn out well years down the road.

wdbtchr

The problem with the fiber type fillers is they use chopped hollow fiber fill thread. This leaves passages for moisture to wick through and allow rust to form on the metal underneath. It's really inportant to seal the surface before patching with fiberglass or any fiber containing filler. You will have much better long term results.

spentshell

You could fill the holes w/ lead. Personally I would hate to put any bondo on one of these vehilces. Also, it would seem the bondo or fiberglass would eventually lift if there were any rust at all left on the surface.

I've seen some fiberglass rust repairs in the past and they did NOT turn out well years down the road.
I have a roll of lead sheeting, how would I go about filling it in.

98hd

I have a roll of lead sheeting, how would I go about filling it in.
I don't know about sheeting, but I've seen them use these lead sticks (can get from eastwood I think) and sort of melt them into the metal work (just enought so it gets gooey, but not liquid). It was often used to fill instead of bondo in the old days.

Prankster

Once apon a time: a long, long time ago a friend told me about how his father fixed the holes inflicted from the hazards of WWII.

He would braze in patches of heavy brass screen into the holes, and then hammer and dolly into shape. Then, he would melt brass to fill the holes in the screen by melting more brass into it. It is kind of like using white lead. Then he would grind it smooth, and paint it.

I have never seen it done but I like the ideal.

chaoticone

For a long lasting fix I would sand blast the area good. Put a good etching primer over that. Then a good epoxy primer. You can now use bondo or fiberglass straight over that (once it dries but most often no more than 24 hours later). This leaves the metal sealed. Putting body filler over bare metal is a nono these days but Epoxy primer is the key to that. Wouldn't work with other primers as they were porus too. If you use the lead be careful. not the healthiest thing to play with but it does have it's place. For little holes I use the fiberglass cloth rather than matt. Most any auto store will have it. You can lay it on about like wall paper, easy to work with. You can also braze the holes in with a wire coat hanger but the above fix will give you a very durable finish.

Brett

466Navastar

get some fiberglass cloth and resin /hardener - like for a boat repair

a layer or two on the inside will seal up the holes - then you can blast off the outside rust with sand or baking soda

just make sure the metal is straightened out best you can get it - because once the fiberglass dries - thats it ....its where it is going to be

A

A/C Cages

Dont ever use Bondo except for a door stop.
You want a metal filler, use LabMetal.