• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harmonic Balancer and Luke Warm Start Woes.

Firstly, I am replacing my harmonic balancer with a Dorman, any objections? Second can I use the harmonic balancer puller/installer here: http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...r/oem-harmonic-balancer-puller-kit/555524_0_0
or will I have clearance issues or is it not worth my time and I should borrow one? I like collecting tools...

Another issue I have had with my truck is warm start issues. Starts from cold with hardly any glow plugs at all (I have manual GP's) and starts from hot with no issues at all. when it is warm 30min sitting after at temp it will crank and crank, most times a LONG GP cycle will get hit to start, longer than what I need to start it in freezing temps... Fuel filter was replaced 4k miles ago but I have another I will put on next week when I get the chance just because. I have good compression in all cyl. I do feel that my cranking speed is slower than the 1028 I used to have and will take care of that when funds allow. My IP solenoid functions properly, I can hear it engage and disengage with the key on and disconnecting the pink wire. I am kind of at a loss here now, is there a chance my injectors are funky? Or is it more likely that my injector pump? Is there a test I could run to see? I have a recently rebuilt IP off the engine that I blew up a little time ago (I have yet to take that apart) I could swap that in but unfortunately its in Vermont and Im in Ohio until October. Anyone have an experience like this? Thanks.

Barrman

Anything below around 160° coolant temperature on a diesel engine is considered cold. The first start of the day has the cold start advance and fast idle involved even though you have manual glow plugs. A hot start needs nothing.

Trouble for all of us starts with the 30 minute to 2 hour restart. If you have the Antenna Climber glow plug module card, it will start just fine. If you have the last civilian glow plug solenoid controller, it will work fine. Anything else and you need to open the throttle some, cause a glow plug cycle or make sure you have perfect batteries, starting system wires and starter.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why use Dorman when ACDELCO still makes an exact replacement harmonic balancer?
Less than $100 on Amazon when I bought mine.

Very easy remove/replace job and did not remove fan shroud or fan.
I did place a piece of heavy cardboard to protect radiator from any dings.

Used standard pulley kit to take off
Used the large washer and big metric bolt, as recommended here on SS, for install.
Worked like a champ.

snowtrac nome

your starter may be dragging and sucking power from the shut down solenoid I have seen this with ford idi 7.3's. if it starts with a quick shot of artificial fuel like butane or starting fluid you will know the starter is drawing too much from the battery's and not energizing the solenoid

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you with unlimited financial resources, I recommend a Fluidampr harmonic balancer. When I got my M1028 in 2010, it had been sitting on a National Guard base in Arizona for 25 years with the windows rolled up. The Guard members drove it approximately 500 miles a year on base, it had only 12,338 actual miles. As expected all rubber components were dry and cracked. Once I got it home and began evaluating things, I noticed a little vibration in the engine. A quick inspection of the balancer lead me to believe the rubber which vulcanized the inner and outer steel components of the balancer was also hard and brittle. So I used some of my daughter's inheritance money and bought and installed a Fluidampr. Vibration is gone, engine smooth as silk.

P.S. - please do not share this post with my daughter.

Drock

I've run the Dorman balancer for around 20,000 miles with no complaints. As for the removal & installation tool I couldn't find one from any of the parts stores that had the correct bolt for the re-install portion. So I ended up having to order a bolt & nut. And just used the washer from the old balancer to do the install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks