• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

harmonic balancer install tool adapter?

GFB

Of course the kit I have doesn't have the right thread adapter. Anybody know a good source for a long M16x1.5 bolt to make my own? No luck with Fastenal. AAAAARGH.

GFB

Not sure if I want to risk my bearings like that. I tapped a little with a 2 lb hammer and it's going to take a lot more force than I'm comfortable putting on the crank.

89m1007

Go to fastenall and bring your damper bolt to them and tell them you need a 6" long bolt and a nut and washer. You can use that to put the damper on. Thread the bolt in and use the nut and washer to put the damper on

GFB

I figured that was my only option, but I have to find a good sized Fastenal. The local one never has anything in stock, and if they order something they make me buy whatever their minimum order is. I'll probably have to buy a dozen bolts lol. The one where I used to live had a huge warehouse of bins and would sell me however many I wanted, and I never found something they didn't have in stock.

jj

McMaster-Carr has 16mm socket headed cap screws of sufficient length to put a nut and washer on, then thread through the balancer itno the crankshaft. It gets "just" enough thread into the crank to pull the balancer on. Hold the socket bolt with a hex key and turn the nut with an open end wrench. If it feels like it requires more force as the balancer gets near the bottom, back off the nut and turn the bolt deeper into the crank to engage more threads. This has worked twice for me. And i'm sorry, but i can't remember the bolt length i used, McMaster did sell them by the piece, however. I recall the shipping cost was more than the materials cost.