• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harris J-210-FED Air Compressor

Crazyguyla

With the weather starting to cool off, I've been working on getting the power plant for the compressor unseized. After sitting most of the summer with ATF in the cylinders, Two cylinders were free, while the other four pushed their liners out. The powerplant is a Waukesha 195 GLC with dry liners. Once the liners started to budge instead of the pistons, use used liberal amounts of PB blaster around the liners so they would slid out. After a few hours of work, cylinders 1, 3, 4, and 5 slid out the engine. Piston 4 slid out of the liner after a few taps with a hammer via wood block and needs a good cleaning around the rings. 1, 3, and 5 are sitting inverted in a 5 gallon bucket, soaking in ATF. The rod bearing didn't have any serious wear, but some abnormal wearing from foreign matter being present under the bearing shell. KIMG0155.JPGKIMG0169.jpgKIMG0171.jpgKIMG0173.jpgKIMG0167.jpgKIMG0168.jpgKIMG0177.jpg

KIMG0508.jpgKIMG0507.jpgKIMG0503.jpgKIMG0505.jpgKIMG0509.jpg

finding replacement sleeves seem the be NLA. If anyone knows where I might find some, that'd be great. It seems the 195 GL/DL was the only Waukesha engine at the time to use dry liners and to have a 4" bore, with a 4" stroke.

Crazyguyla

Here's a small update. Four of the six pistons are moving freely. I read about using a press to pop the pistons free of the sleeves. it worked on one piston, still trying to get all the corrosion removed that has build up between the sleeve wall and ring lands. Everytime i soak them down with penitrant oil, more crude bubbles up. Maybe a couple more days/weeks and all pistons will be free. More positive news,. the magneto has been cleaned, tested, and installed. I have found the correct military style magneto online, but wondering what good price for a non-functioning unit (no spark). I have the magneto grounded so it can't produce a spark while I crank over the engine. Time to order a new head gasket, so much $$$$ for antique parts.

KIMG0186.jpgKIMG0185.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks