• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harris RF-382 Antenna Coupler Mounting Question

wyocommo

Hello All,
I am in the process of installing a Harris HF antenna on my LMTV. This makes installing the matching RF-382 antenna coupler a necessity.

My intention is to mount the coupler with its matching vehicular mount on the back of the cab (outside) high on the driver side. I have both RF-383 (originally for tracked vehicles and RF-384 (wheeled vehicles) vehicular shock mounts available but this is the first time I have had to install a unit in the vertical plane instead of the horizontal plane.

Searches on the web haven't produced any manuals or tech guides that indicate if either of these can be deployed in the vertical plane.

Has anyone had any experience with these mounts being used vertically? Or even seen one mounted in the vertical.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a very nice antenna coupler. What antenna are you using with it? I have an AT-1011 that I mount on a portable base when camping (height up to 32 ft), and use an LDG tuner with it. The mobile HF whip is an AB-15 with up to 4 sections of MS-116, etc. But, it catches on limbs in my driveway and any backroad even if tied back. An antenna with a tie-down string is a limb magnet. The AS-1729 on right rear of cab has the same problem.

My truck is an LMTV and it's just too tall for a reasonable mount, like off the cab, unless I mount the antenna mostly horizontal. Are you mounting yours vertical? Sure would like to see pictures!

Thanks.

papakb

One of the best antenna installations I saw on deuces was welding the sugar scoop inside the front bumper so that the masts could be pulled down to the rear. This way branches don't catch them. Maybe you could find a way to duplicate that setup on the LMTV. I'm sure there will be others that would appreciate a good design

Kurt
KG6KMJ

wyocommo

Hello All,
Thanks for the additional information.

I made one of those 'command decisions' Friday evening and started the process on the LMTV. Didn't finish up until 2330 hrs Sunday night. No opportunity to take PROPER photos of installation yet as we have had rain and 50+ MPH winds in Wyoming. But will post as soon as work and weather allow.

Mounted the correct scoop mount for the drivers side (NSN 5985-01-4382217, Part # A3210717-1) using 8MM threaded rivets or nut zerts. The corner mounts have a total of 9 bolts holding them to the cab corner so they are fairly stout. The passenger side corner mount is the same part # but ends in a '2'. Didn't have time to put the passenger side mount for the LO VHF antenna yet but it should go fairly quick.

The drivers side mount was then equipped with a Harris spring tilt adapter mount that uses the Harris AT-1011 12ft mobile HF antenna. This antenna is the top three sections of the 32 ft unit. The mounts lets the antenna ride vertical, 45 deg back or forward or in the horizontal plane back or forward.

I recently met a mil convoy that had some of their antennas tilted forward at the 45 deg position. They looked like big bugs with antennas sticking out. I would assume that this position lessens the distortion of the antenna radiation pattern if the trucks are loaded with equipment on the rear decks. This would be particularly true if they are being used in the NVIS mode. But I digress as usual!

The RF-382 coupler was attached on the back of the cab as close as I could get it to the antenna mount. Debated using some of the shock mounts but in the end I attached it directly to the cab using 4 each of the 8MM threaded rivets. I am counting on the fact that the cab is air ride to help minimize the vibrations. If it looks like it will be problematic I will go back and put in the shock mount. The cab sheet metal is thick enough that threaded rivets should not pull out even though the coupler weighs about 25 lbs.

I recently mounted the digitization kit rack behind the passenger seat so I needed to route the control and RF cables for the coupler into the cab. I also have two High VHF's, a UHF, a 900 Mhz and a Lo VHF antenna and various other cables that needed cab entry so I drilled a 2" hole in the rear cab wall about midway between the floor and ceiling of the cab. This hole is just beneath one of the shelves in the rack. I will be installing a 2" 90 deg sealtite fitting in this hole and pointing it down so water entry and cable chaffing should not be a problem. This will make any future customization a little easier also.

Inside the cab:
Used the top shelf of the rack to mount a Motorola VHF XTL5000 radio and the 24 and 12 VDC power distribution. Second shelf holds the Harris RF-5022 radio and the matching RF-5032 125 watt power amp. Third shelf got the Motorola dual band VHF_UHF APX7500 radio and the PRC-148 vehicular adapter set. Left the fourth shelf empty for the moment until I can find the vehicular mounting tray for the Harris 400 HF watt power amp.
Bottom of the rack got a Samlex 1500 watt inverter and very soon, a 15 amp 24 volt charger and the Whelen/Motorola siren module that mates with the APX7500 radio.

The XTL5000 control head went above the sun visor on the drivers side while the APX dual band head was mounted on top of the dash directly in front of the cab support brace in the middle of the windshield. Both Moto speakers went overhead at the top of the cab brace.

My split loom for the wiring inside the cab didn't arrive in time for the install adventure so the wiring is temporary until the loom arrives and can be dressed in all proper like!!

Since there is a M66 ring mount in the immediate future I put the VHF, UHF and 900 antennas on mag mounts until I can get the ring installed and make sure nothing is going to interfere.
Coupler Mount.jpgScoop Mount, Drivers.jpg

BTW Tenmogger; I know where both the trees in Wyoming are and I will be sure to avoid them:-D

Wile E. Coyote

Now *that* is making me jealous! Nice setup. Always like the 5022s and would either go that way or the PRC-138 and the Harris VAA and amp if I had a limitless bank balance. Oh. And Uncle stopped shredding everything into aluminum confetti.

wyocommo

It took years of looking, trading and bidding to accumulate all of the hardware ( and a pile of cash ). The PRC-138's ARE pretty rare and pricey! These days, you could expect to spend $6K to $8K for the 138 and vehicular adapter. Uncle's scrapping operations have had a NEGATIVE impact on mil radio pricing to say the least.

I mounted and tested the siren/PA amplifier last night and it does a great job of putting the radio audio outside at a VERY high level. Don't think I will test that inside the shop again!

Looking forward to wrapping up the commo installs this weekend so I can tilt the cab forward and run the wiring for the 1500 watt inverter and the 24 volt charger. Plan to run the AC output of the inverter to the front and rear bumpers of the truck along with a something in the cab to accommodate all of the wall warts that seem to be in my life. Also have to run wiring for the PTO and winch solenoids and build a switch panel for control of everything.

I managed to acquire a big 24 VDC searchlite and it will get mounted on the M66 ring,,,, if I get that far in the project,,,,,,, AND figure out how to elegantly close up the hole that the M66 creates in the roof.

Seems to be endless project possibilities with the LMTV truck platform.

Augi

Great radio setup. I don't have as much space on the hmmwv rack, so I only get to pick two. Right now an RT246 for VHF LO and GRC213 for HF.

The 24v spotlight on the weapons station is a gas though... I power it directly from the slave recepticle.

DSC_5921.jpgDSC_5923.jpg

Augi

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently researched the Harris Rf-382 coupler to install in my M-998 and found the tech manual that showed it mounted sideways in the rear cargo area for the M-1114 slant backs. So Yes, The military did install them vertically or horizontally and it appears to make no difference in functionality.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks