• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody made or found a 24v tow light?

kfrosty

I've got an M998 and 2 M105 trailers I'm trying to figure out how to pick up in one trip.

One thought is to load a trailer in the back of my 923, then hook a tow bar to M998 and then one of the trailers to the back of it. (Providing I can release the brakes without air.)

If I go that way I'm trying to figure out how to get lights to the back.

Either that or load the M998 in the back, (I have to measure.) then try to turn one M105 upside down on top of the other one.

Thoughts?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first thought is that the 105s don't have air brakes.

Are you allowed to tow double would be my next thought in your state(s). CDL maybe to do it.

The tow lights are around and at least one member built a nice set from scratch.

kfrosty

Air Over Hydraulic from what I understand, so you're saying you don't have to supply air to release them?

I see these things tilt, I may be able to get two of them on the 923 and then tow the M998. Still interested in the lights. I tow my 5 tons every once and a while, the brake light work but never have turn signals.

kfrosty

NC doesn't allow triple towing. I understand the want to get it all back home together but be safe about it. Towing the M998 and having a trailer behind that is illegal here.
QUOTE]

Interesting.

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/CommercialDriverEndorsements-Restrictions.pdf

It may be an interesting conversation but dealing with the DOT in my experience is always interesting, even when you are completely by the book and they are out looking for revenue.

Hopefully I'm going to be able to get a roll back and a trailer but I'm thinking about a contingency if that doesn't work out.

Anyway, I'm just curious about the 24v tow lights at this point. That would be handy regardless.

Thanks

aleigh

Always best to prefer a SS seller, but, a certain internationally recognized auction site has a lot of tow bar lights up right now. Just search for "military tow light".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can brew up a set of tow lights from any set of composite light and an old trailer cord plug. You can bolt the lights on, attach a magnet to them or bolt them to a board and attach with.bungees, sfraps or paracord. You could also just unplug the lights at the trailer and build a cord to patch them into the truck. Only need wires to get you home.

Were it me, the 105s would get backed in the truck with the back of the trailer sitting on the bed (pintle in air) and the second one backed under it. Overhang past the tailgate will be way above the HMMWV.

JDToumanian

I use a cheap set of magnetic tow lights from Harbor Freight... I changed out the 12v light bulbs with 24v ones, cut the connector off the end of the wires, and hooked them to a junk trailer light cable. Chunk the magnetic lights on the rear, zip tie the wires to the vehicle(s) and plug it into the back of your MV. Not the most professional solution, but I don't tow stuff that doesn't have working lights often enough to spend money on a 'real' tow light set.

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks