• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody tried getting trailer registered in ME who does not live there?

Ratch

I thought about going the Maine way for a trailer I just sold, but didn't flesh it out. Signing over a Maine transferable registration I got for $90 would have saved me the combined cost and time of an SF97 and re-titling it in PA.

Mathematically, it works out if you stay with the Maine tag or use it to sell. I don't know the law on that, but the rule of thumb for me is:
If I have a massive wreck, will I lose a lawsuit because of a legal technicality, or the implication that I took steps to circumvent the law?
Of course, I've been towing around unregistered trailers for months...

If you go with a Maine tag just to title your trailer and then re-title it in your home state, it may be a wash. What do you save after spending tax, $90 for a 5-year tag, and $45 for a title, just to bring it to your home DMV/DOT and pay all the fees you would have paid with an SF97 and maybe a little higher tax?
Might as well get an SF97 for $60 and title it procedurally in PA (or your home state).

If I were still in NY and actually attempted to collect MilSurp, I'd go Maine all the way and store my trailer out of state periodically to avoid the 6-month rule and NY's exorbitant taxation and titling fees... And if you're doing that, don't keep clear records of when it was moved around...

Jut occurred to me... Anyone know if Maine has a dealer threshold? IE if I register ten trailers with them over a period of a year, and those registrations all come back to them from new owners re-titling them?

PA I just found out is 1 vehicle per year to trigger a dealer license requirement. Pretty stupid that I would be required to get a dealer license after selling my used car...

Last edited:

rfischba1

I went to the MD DMV to get two trailer titles today and to my suprise the State of MD raised their fee for titles from $69.80 last month to $119.80 per title, add the GL fee you are at $179.80 each. That does not include tags. Maine is the only way to go.
The Gov. said he needs to raise money because of his budget shortfalls, Thats O'Malley for you.:-x

Ressoldier

I really don't think this tip is for people buying off of GL and able to get either a Statement of Title or the SF97. I was looking at a 1967 M101 A1 that the owner purchased at a Forest Service auction 10 years ago. He never registered it and no longer has any of the paperwork, so that means a Bill of Sale only. In CA it was going to be a nightmare without any other paperwork and lots of fees ifI could even register. Now if I register in ME and then transfer to CA I now have some paperwork in order to make the transfer. This will benefit the Private sellers/purchasers.

Ripcord01

I went to the MD DMV to get two trailer titles today and to my suprise the State of MD raised their fee for titles from $69.80 last month to $119.80 per title, add the GL fee you are at $179.80 each. That does not include tags. Maine is the only way to go.
The Gov. said he needs to raise money because of his budget shortfalls, Thats O'Malley for you.:-x
I just don't understand why we should have to pay that crap. The **** trailers are not worth anything once you plate them. You are in the whole if you decide to sell a few here and there. HIS budget shortfalls. Not OURS..

It's only a tax increase when a republician does it.

I thought about going the Maine way for a trailer I just sold, but didn't flesh it out. Signing over a Maine transferable registration I got for $90 would have saved me the combined cost and time of an SF97 and re-titling it in PA.

Mathematically, it works out if you stay with the Maine tag opr use it to sell. I don't know the law on that, but the rule of thumb for me is:
If I have a massive wreck, will I lose a lawsuit because of a legal technicality, or the implication that I took steps to circumvent the law?
Of course, I've been towing around unregistered trailers for months...

You are not going to loose a law suit because you legally registered a trailer in Maine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks