• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone bought an M1009 that doesn't start?

Action Man

For those of you that have bought an M1009 from an auction, I was curious how many of you bid on a vehicle that didn't run and what your experience was with this. I've just been watching the auctions for a while and I've seen some good looking trucks, but the ones that run seem to be few and far between. So I was interested in how hard it is to get a vehicle that doesn't start running. I realize it could be anything from a dead battery to more serious problems, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if it was a small problem that could be fixed to make it drivable.

gungearz

Usually its not a small problem but sometimes can be like batteries... If its missing parts, more likely they parked it because it wasn't worth fixing and used it as a parts truck. I heard someone bought one that said it was started a month ago but was towed on the lot. It was clean and looked flawless. He paid almost $3000 and someone ran the motor dry and locked the block up. Its always a catch 22 dealing with something like that.

Action Man

Usually its not a small problem but sometimes can be like batteries... If its missing parts, more likely they parked it because it wasn't worth fixing and used it as a parts truck. I heard someone bought one that said it was started a month ago but was towed on the lot. It was clean and looked flawless. He paid almost $3000 and someone ran the motor dry and locked the block up. Its always a catch 22 dealing with something like that.
I figured as much. I guess that's part of the risk of buying through an auction...It seems less expensive that buying a truck off of someone, but you don't really know what you're getting unless you can look at it before you buy it. It seems kind of exciting, but it would suck getting a truck that had a lot of problems.

robertss

Mine wouldnt start when I purchased. put in new batteries and still wouldnt start. turned out I had 2 wires that had been cut. one to glow plug resistors and a 12 voly feed to the firewall.
replaced that and it fired up.

twlinks

I was lucky on mine I guess. It was listed as not starting. Both batteries were there, one of them shot, the other not real strong. I replaced both, checked fluids and gave it a try...fired up right away and starts instantly since then. Would I do it again? Probably, but I want a tank next time, so that's not likely to happen. :)

67_C-30

When I got mine there were 6 there that would not start, but they would all crank with a jump. **Normally** if everything is still under the hood, they will run with a little effort. I saw one that ran, but needed a starter. Some of them have parts missing off the engine, and most of them have a bigger problem. Its a gamble, but I've had good luck with ones I've bought.

You can preview the lots and take batteries with you (or possibly get the GL guys to jump them off, but I never count on that) and try them out. That way you'll know for sure.

Last edited:

2002ford

Everything I have bought off of GL or GSA stated did not run. I have put batterys in 2 trucks and they both fired right up. My M1010 just took a 20 mile drive last night to a farm. Its just a gamble I would say. Now the M1009 that I will get this week or next is a different monster. It was flood damaged 5 years ago. I will go buy a lottery ticket if does anything. LOL. Good luck.

rickf

I was told "started with jump". Well, I got it started after a lot of trying and it blew the radiator cap right off the radiator! Number 8 cylinder was cracked from top to bottom. Had frozen at some time or another. Needless to say you cannot believe what they say in the ad either. I can guarantee this truck did not start for them with a jump.

Rick

Action Man

When I got mine there were 6 there that would not start, but they would all crank with a jump. **Normally** if everything is still under the hood, they will run with a little effort. I saw one that ran, but needed a starter. Some of them have parts missing off the engine, and most of them have a bigger problem. Its a gamble, but I've had good luck with ones I've bought.

You can preview the lots and take batteries with you (or possibly get the GL guys to jump them off, but I never count on that) and try them out. That way you'll know for sure.
That's a good idea. I just couldn't check the truck out personally since I'm in school full time. Maybe I could find someone in the area to take a peek at it if I was interested in one?

Everything I have bought off of GL or GSA stated did not run. I have put batterys in 2 trucks and they both fired right up. My M1010 just took a 20 mile drive last night to a farm. Its just a gamble I would say. Now the M1009 that I will get this week or next is a different monster. It was flood damaged 5 years ago. I will go buy a lottery ticket if does anything. LOL. Good luck.
I saw that one. Good luck with it! ;o

Last edited:

LanceRobson

I've bought a number of M1009s and M1008s, some listed as running, some not, some unknown. Some were previewed and some not. The only one we couldn't drive home or onto the trailer was listed as non-running. It had two bad batteries in it. We dropped batteries in it and it fired right up but had a bad transmission. I limped at 20-25 MPH about 20 miles to a friend's shop and came back with a trailer to get it later. Fortunately I had a very rusty but low mileage $650 parts truck to get a transmission from.

Some locations will let you start them during an inspection, some won't. Some locations will let you do a little work before removing them, some won't let you any work anywhere on the installation. I've even picked up trucks that were in motor pools and have had shop chiefs send mechanics over to be sure the vehicles ran and to fix any minor faults. It seems like every location and pick-up is different.

My advice to new MV buyers is generally that unless you have a good basic mechanical skills and tools and have a mentor to help you through the process you might be better off buying the first one from a private owner. That's especially true if the purchase is any kind of a financial stretch since with a private owner you can spend a lot more time inspecting the truck, and asking questions. Lastly, with a private purchase you'll be able to test drive it which is something you won't be able to do with GL.

If, like many of us, you are on a budget for your purchase I would advise that you spend no more than 3/4 of your budget on the truck and getting it home. These things are roughly 25-30 years old and there will be a lot of rubber and electrical things that need replaced, cleaned etc even if nothing major is bad.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Lance

wes935

Mine required an ignition key switch (normal CUCV key worked in the doors and tailgate but not the ignition), a fresh set of batteries (I scored a couple of Armasafe Hawkers), and the glow plug card was missing.
Those things done she cranked right up.

kenz5380

None of the three vehicles I bought from GL were listed as running. My Van just needed a battery, a drive shaft and a key and it ran like a champ. My M1008 needed about everything electrical as it had been a parts truck, but the engine was fine and runs strong now. My good friends M1008 looked perfect with batteries, all the accessories, clean body and interior, but the engine needed piston rings. Its a crap shoot. I guess the reason that one truck looked so good may have been that it was broke and hadn't been driven in a long time. Who knows. Its a gamble, but its pretty exciting. I had no room to work with on that van I bought and just got lucky. My M1008 was another strike of luck, although I had looked at it before I bought it to check and see if it had the essentials to run. Roll the dice...

Cletus09

We bought an m1008 listed as not running. We brought it home and $50 later it was running. All it needed was a key, power steering return line, alt belt, and starter relay. The batteries were good.

MarcusOReallyus

Mine started with a jump.... but wouldn't shift out of first gear.

I bought a civvie Chevy (maintenance truck) from GL, and it needed a flex plate. The teeth were chewed off, so it wouldn't crank. Also needed an exhaust system to pass inspection. It's now my daily driver.

Glockamolie

I just bought one from Saginaw, Tx on GL. It has 73k miles. The pics showed no batteries or fuel filter, but otherwise intact. It was drained of oil, coolant, and trans fluid. I added oil and filter, coolant, and changed the trans filter and pan gasket. I added an electric fuel pump, as I didn't want to strain my new batteries and the starter when trying to prime the fuel system after it being opened up. Mine started right up, and runs and shifts fine. Mine was a $924 truck at the auction. Mine didn't even have a dented driveshaft from being moved around by forklift. I'm sure I'll encounter plenty more to fix along the way, just from it being 26 years old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks