• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone built a big slide-in "truck" camper for a M35 Deuce?

Eodrob96

I realize this is an older thread but hopefully I can bring it back to life. I plan on buying a deuce for a farm truck in about a year after I retire from the army. I'm going to have it converted to a dump bed but that may or may not be important to my questions. I realize the easy answer to my question would be to just have a M109 and my M35 but I really don't think that's going to happen. As I was driving down the highway the other day I saw some U-Haul trucks and it dawned on me. What if a U-Haul bed with a "mom's attic" fit in the back of the deuce? It turns out that the outside dimensions of a U-Haul truck box is 7'8" while the inside dimensions of a deuce bed is 7'4". My hopes that the U-Haul box would slide right in the deuce bed were crushed. However, I already wanted a drop side deuce so if I took the drop sides off it would only overhang each side by about 2 inches. That would actually give me access to the underside of the U-Haul box for attachment points to the deuce bed. I haven't found any reference or pictures by anyone anywhere on the Internet as having done this and I can't imagine my idea is really original. Does anybody know why it might not be done? I've seen some great blogs and threads elsewhere showing people converting old U-Haul trucks into really nice RVs. It looks as if the overhang would be plenty high for the deuce cab as well. I have also found sites where I could buy a salvaged camper trailer very cheaply and scavenge all the windows, the door, plumbing, etc. from it to outfit my slide in camper. I don't want to get back into the how-to's of removing the camper I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are here on this sort of set up. Thank you for your input.

Eodrob96

Thanks for the input Mike. Small world. I used to live just a few minutes from you (West Columbia off Kitti Wake) when I was stationed at Jackson. I'll keep the drop side idea in mind. Perhaps I'll catch you on the air waves after I get some time, an Elmer, and a license. Have a great day.

StrykerPerry

id like to make a half s280 to use half the bed for a camper but make it pop up like the unicat and id make some out riggers that fold down for it to get it out also when i get the trailer I want completed i could move it out using the roll off system on the trailer 155.jpgand I could put roll off beds in the truck bed if i build it right

Section8

Darn it! Strykerperry beat me to it. I plan on building a roll off system for my rig. That way I can switch from camper to box to service rig to flat deck when ever I want.
If I can find the info I downloaded about the system I an looking at building and slightly modifying to work for my needs I will post. Seems the simplest route to go for complete versatility.
Hope they load. Seems to be the easiest system to me. Less messing around with things that may not work to well.
Of course I am going the route of free standing units with the Jack legs and not a dump style tool off set up.

Attachments

Section8

When I checked out the system on their website they had versions built to suit all size trucks.
Everything from one ton to the large 20 to 40 ton applications.
I would assume it would all be dependant on how long you wanted the Jack legs to be.
My M135 doesn't sit very high so I would only need my interchangeable decks to sit higher than what ever tires I am running.
So if the legs are 4 feet long with at least 3 feet of safe lifting leg inside you Will easily lift your application over the tires.
That also being said. I don't necessarily want to "lift" my interchangeable. Just drop the legs to support the said application and drive out. Then back into the next.
I would use an 8000lb winch to pull the decks into place and hold them as well as the locking clamps that are in the system to secure applications.
If my idea doesn't turn your crank there is another option I looked at.
Google "Hook Lift Systems" for trucks.
Uses a hydraulic ram on an L shaped arm set in the frame of the truck to hook onto an application sitting on the ground in a skid style set up.
I will look to see if I can find an example to post

Last edited:

red

Another option is a winch and bed roller like I'm using. Moved the bed back a few inches, mounted a winch. Cable runs over the roller down to the bottom front of whatever I need to pick up, then pulls it right on up in the bed.

uploadfromtaptalk1429506242094.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429506280754.jpg

Eodrob96

Funny how we EOD guys think alike huh red? I love your idea. The end of this year can't come quickly enough. I'll finally retire after 23 years in.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any wear and tear on the skids as they drag across the truck bed? How
heavy is your shelter?
Thanks!

red

It's a MUST expanding shelter, weight is around 4k pounds.

The skid only dragged about halfway across the bed, no real signs of wear. I've sold that shelter.

A wooden board under the skid would prevent any wear concerns.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a large slide-in camper for my truck

I acquired this vintage HiLo travel trailer and it turns our it is exactly 7'4" wide. Took off the axles, made crossmembers for camper jacks, and threw it on there. (Actually, it almost throws itself up there.)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks