• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone Bypassed the Starter Relay?

Timbojackson

I have killed two starters by the infamous starter relay supplying continuous power to my starter and not being able to get it to stop before it fries the starter solenoid. Tried hitting the relay and carried a pair of wire cutters, but didn't make in time. I have cleaned all the connection and grounds. The last rebuild was $60.00. I am thinking of by-passing the relay with a 24 volt momentary push button switch or installing a cutoff switch in the circuit.

Wondered if you guys had any input?
Thanks

devilman96

Yank said famous relay out and install a actual starter solenoid in its place, a small one is better something like Napa's 7-01829, 7-01860-1, 7-01819, etc, etc (all small engine PN's) pretty much any 12V 4 post will work for longer than the truck will ever be on the road.

Also consider putting in a gear reduced starter, they pull a lot less amperage all of the way around and don't have near the problems of the older style direct drives.

Timbojackson

wow, great minds think alike, I very wise retired engineer that works for us now just gave the the exact same advice And ofcourse afterward I thought thats just simple and brilliant and can't believe that had not crossed my mind.
Thanks for the quick repost.

acetomatoco

Most folks who do this... mount the new relay on the engine side of the firewall in the famous purple wire... and jump it together where the current relay is...A can just like the new glow plug relay works just fine.. So says Ted H and his have worked for years...

portert0224

This starter relay bypass mod sounds like an ounce of prevention. Does anyone have any photos or step-by-step instructions for the shade tree mechanic?
Thanks in advance,
Tracy

CCATLETT1984

While there is not a writeup at this time, anyone doing this modification (or that has done it already) is more than welcome to either create a post with the steps and pictures or to send them to me and I will create the post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks