• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone converted a 6.2 into a turbo charged unit?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do all you want to the motor, it won't make a difference till you get a 4th gear. This truck was not made for commuting and interstate driving, it was designed for a combination of both, with an emphasis on payload. These truck were meant for convoy speeds. So a 4L80E or 700r4 is "IMO" the best route...if you want more power, drop the 6.5NA GEP into it, plenty of them available from the demil facilities. You stated you like the 6.2, you are aware the 6.5 is the same as a 6.2?
the big difference in the GEP 6.5 is that GEP fixed a lot of issues that plagued the GM 6.2/6.5....it's a far superior motor and drops right in...I have a few in my trucks and could not be happier.

Chief_919

I was thinking about that but my mechanic friend seems to dislike the idea because he feels diesel engine head swaps are very time intensive.

Has many people here swapped 6.2 heads to 6.5 L heads?

Where can I read about it?
Get a new mechanic.

A head swap on a 6.2 is no more time intensive than a swap on a gas V8, and a helluva lot easier than re-engineering a whole system, and making custom manifolds.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do all you want to the motor, it won't make a difference till you get a 4th gear. This truck was not made for commuting and interstate driving, it was designed for a combination of both, with an emphasis on payload. These truck were meant for convoy speeds. So a 4L80E or 700r4 is "IMO" the best route...if you want more power, drop the 6.5NA GEP into it, plenty of them available from the demil facilities. You stated you like the 6.2, you are aware the 6.5 is the same as a 6.2?
the big difference in the GEP 6.5 is that GEP fixed a lot of issues that plagued the GM 6.2/6.5....it's a far superior motor and drops right in...I have a few in my trucks and could not be happier.
I am not looking for a top end greater than 6o miles per hour. Speed limit out here is 50. I need to be able to accelerate onto the road. A 7000 pound vehicle should have at least 250- 300 Diesel horsepower.

I am not interested in any contemporary 4 speed automatic transmissions. If I was really looking to tremendously modify this vehicle, I would throw in a five speed manual.

I really would like suggestions on how to modify the engine, and less input about changing to a Cummins or swapping out for a 4 speed transmission.

My request was really super simple, and all I want to know is how to best modified the engine I have. I do not want another brand of engine. I do not want a 6.5 L engine, although adding 6.5 liter heads seems like a possible option.

If you are unable to stay on target, I respectfully request that you do not reply. I do not mean to be an @$$hole, but at this point I just want the information that was requested. I just want to see how best to modify my 6.2 L in order to place a turbo on it and very modestly increase my power and torque. I just would like to see if anyone else has attempted this conversion so that I might learn without reinventing the wheel.

Thanks again to everyone who has answered.

T

Last edited:

Action

Let us know how this wheel invention works out for you.
I would have suggested 3.08 diffs for faster acceleration, but that isn't what you want to do.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not looking for a top end greater than 6o miles per hour. Speed limit out here is 50. I need to be able to accelerate onto the road. A 7000 pound vehicle should have at least 250- 300 Diesel horsepower.

I am not interested in any contemporary 4 speed automatic transmissions. If I was really looking to tremendously modify this vehicle, I would throw in a five speed manual.

I really would like suggestions on how to modify the engine, and less input about changing to a Cummins or swapping out for a 4 speed transmission.

My request was really super simple, and all I want to know is how to best modified the engine I have. I do not want another brand of engine. I do not want a 6.5 L engine, although adding 6.5 liter heads seems like a possible option.

If you are unable to stay on target, I respectfully request that you do not reply. I do not mean to be an @$$hole, but at this point I just want the information that was requested. I just want to see how best to modify my 6.2 L in order to place a turbo on it and very modestly increase my power and torque. I just would like to see if anyone else has attempted this conversion so that I might learn without reinventing the wheel.

T
well, if your not trying to be an a**hole, I would hate to see it when you try....but I for one will not provide you any further intput on this topic or any other moving forward. You come here asking questions and you want to dictate the answers? Good luck with your Bubba work....

Kaiser67M715

1. Even with a turbo you most likely won't see above 225hp

2. Adding a turbo increases power/torque, and that will provide a little extra acceleration speed,

A stock 6.2 only really made about 160hp, 6.5 only a little better at about 180. Adding a turbo really only provides another 50 hp.

I personally think you will see an improvement, but don't be disappointed if it isn't as much as you thought it would be.

The gov't obviously thought a turbo would be nice, otherwise they would have never done upgrades to these trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Answer to first post :
Nope....no one did that to a 6.2 in a Hmmwv.....waste of time and money .

dilvoy

Tobash, I think I know just about everything needed about adding a turbo to an N/A Humvee engine, but I need to know what Turbo you are planning on using and where you plan to mount it, because the info is detailed.

Chief_919

T
Here is the thing- when you post discussions here like this you are going to get all kinds of answers and options. Because this is not your private paid consulting service, but a discussion forum where everyone shares.

The other options are all also given because this post will remain here and come up on peoples searches, so all possible answers should be there. This forum is bigger than just you and what you want. It is a place where a lot of information is posted and shared with everyone reading now and everyone who finds this post later in a search.

I will refrain from further answers to avoid possibly bothering you in case I present an option you don't like.

Last edited:

Action

I am not looking for a top end greater than 6o miles per hour. Speed limit out here is 50. I need to be able to accelerate onto the road. A 7000 pound vehicle should have at least 250- 300 Diesel horsepower.T
I dont know how you drive, but my humvee will s**t and get when i hit the throttle. This must be another "off road use only" truck that wants to get on the interstate quickly.
If your Humvee weighs 7000#, get rid of that extra 1000 pounds and it will move faster.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash, I think I know just about everything needed about adding a turbo to an N/A Humvee engine, but I need to know what Turbo you are planning on using and where you plan to mount it, because the info is detailed.
Thanks Dilvoy:

I'll PM you.

To everyone else:

I never meant for this to become a contentious issue. I feel bad about that.

Moderators - Sorry that this became contentious. Feel free to close the thread.

To all who answered, thanks.

To those offended... I respect your experience with these vehicles. I was looking for specific turbocharging answers. I've worked on a vehicle or two and I have played with engine swaps and transmission swaps and differential re-gearing and such over the years. You had no way of knowing that, so I guess you answered based on assuming I was unaware of other options... and for that I'm sorry.

I'll communicate better in the future.

From what I understand to date:

Turbocharging (and perhaps major engine modifications) might not be a major topic here with most people, although there may be a few. That's cool and I understand. Given the combined experiences of everyone here I figured that this was the first place to ask. Now I have my answer.

It might be nice to have a power-train modifications sub-forum, but would there be enough interest to support that?

Sorry to those offended and thanks to those who helped and thanks to all who answered.

Best to all,

T

tomelroy

I remember seeing a very nice m1025 slant back for sale a few years ago that hadas 6.2 with a side mounted turbo. (So it has been done) I have a few trucks with the gep 6.5 NA and bought a hmmwv turbo kit off ebay thinking it would just bolt on. Would like to hear how you get it done. Turbo sure would be nice at 9000 feet in the summer.

linhster

Turbocharging (and perhaps major engine modifications) might not be a major topic here with most people, although there may be a few. That's cool and I understand. Given the combined experiences of everyone here I figured that this was the first place to ask. Now I have my answer.
T
I am sure pretty much every hmmwv owners wants to increase the power output of the stock config. I am sure there are many ideas that people have came up with, but only a few are actually practical and effective. The biggest problem is the limited space to reconfigure a setup that is more efficient than the subsequent current design. In the Land Rover and other vehicles, space and integration of designs are not quite as critical as the existing designs of the humvees. If you have been working on your humvee, I am sure you have noticed this. I think that everyone is just trying to tell you what they have experienced through their pursuit of the additional power.. Good luck with your goals. Hoping to see your success on this project in future posts.

teteacher101

I too had considered piecing together a turbo "kit", also almost bought a GM van with a 6.5 Turbo an contemplated swapping that engine into it as well. However, after getting my HMMWV home, an being pretty certain the miles were original (3500) based off the condition of it along with it being on a pretty low key base mostly used for reserves-I decided it would be much faster an easier on the wallet to spruce things up before I decided to tackle a large project. After determining it seemed worthy of investing into the current set up I am so far happy I did instead of a large scale project. I did all the normal things to get it going, fluid changes, glow plugs, KDS box, batteries, filters, etc. After changing the tranny fluid an filter, the fuel filter an rubber lines, then turning the injection pump up-it accelerates an has power that is very good for what it is. I have had friends drive it whom have owned diesel trucks for years an they were even impressed being its only a 6.2. So for my practical driving purposes, i.e. driving around town, back roads, no interstate driving an max speeds of 50-55, it fits my needs fine. Everyone has different ideas an needs though, but for me adding a turbo or more power at this stage would just be a pet project so to speak-but I'm not ruling it out. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks