• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone had a fender bender?

jmro

Well, today I was out running some errands buying some stuff to start working on my m1008 (which I had pulled the dash out 2 hours earlier), A new Jeep wrangler pulled out in front of me and I hit him... his fault. Probably $1-2k worth of damage my guess most damage driver side front, and brush guard. My question is; has anyone had a wreck in their cucv, and what did the insurance company do about it?

jmro

ha, I didn't think to take any pics at the time. Pretty much pushed the driver side door in about 9 inches on the Jeep. and pushed in his rocker pannel

wayne pick

I've had some close calls, but no unwanted meetings. Just in case, I built El'Smasho. Im not bending up my pretty sheetmetal becuase of someones stupidity. I integrated this into my fisher plow rig and made it so I can reinstall the plow hoist for the winter months.

Attachments

Matt65

My question is;......what did the insurance company do about it?
Depending on the details of the policies involved this may vary. I'm guessing you, like most here, carry Liability Insurance only. Leaving the repairs for your truck up to you.?. Perhaps the only way it would be covered is if the collision could be blamed on the crumpled Wrangler that should have yielded to you, then it's policy would repair your 1008. Whether you or an Insurance policy pays, there are still plenty of parts out there to make your truck like new again for a reasonable price. Just the other day I saw a hood given away here on SS.

jmro

I do carry only liability on my cucv. The road it happened on is 7 lanes, 3 west bound, 1 turn, and 3 east bound. The jeep was crossing to the 3 west and stopped when he saw me (pulling out of a parking lot to the east bound) and failed to yield to me. His fault. My main concern is that they may not want to fix a 26 yr old truck.
I feel stupid saying this but I have never been in an accident where it was up to another insurance company to fix my vehicle.

lindyp38

i've had some close calls, but no unwanted meetings. Just in case, i built el'smasho. Im not bending up my pretty sheetmetal becuase of someones stupidity. I integrated this into my fisher plow rig and made it so i can reinstall the plow hoist for the winter months.
that is some monster...lol...

hunderliggur

Thought about the same thing yesterday. Do I let my new licensed learners permit son drive (with me) in the M1009, the Silverado 2500HD crew cab with 8 foot bed, or the Trailblazer? He has driven the Silverado off highway before (we have a farm) and can handle a Bobcat Toolcat really well. It probably won't be the M1009 (yet).

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you report the incident to YOUR insurance company. The other party probably doesn't feel to good today! And, depending on your insurance company, they should be happy to help you in the right direction if the other company doesn't want to play (repair your truck), even if your liability only.

Several things to remember, this coming from my insurance company and a niece that works 911 where I live. 1. Write down VIN of the other vehicle, don't depend on the papers you see. 2. Get a pic of not only the vehicle but the driver as well.

Good luck!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you report the incident to YOUR insurance company. The other party probably doesn't feel to good today! And, depending on your insurance company, they should be happy to help you in the right direction if the other company doesn't want to play (repair your truck), even if your liability only.

Several things to remember, this coming from my insurance company and a niece that works 911 where I live. 1. Write down VIN of the other vehicle, don't depend on the papers you see. 2. Get a pic of not only the vehicle but the driver as well.

Good luck!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do carry only liability on my cucv. The road it happened on is 7 lanes, 3 west bound, 1 turn, and 3 east bound. The jeep was crossing to the 3 west and stopped when he saw me (pulling out of a parking lot to the east bound) and failed to yield to me. His fault. My main concern is that they may not want to fix a 26 yr old truck.
I feel stupid saying this but I have never been in an accident where it was up to another insurance company to fix my vehicle.
It doesn't sound like the damage to your truck even approaches the "totaled" value of the truck, so they would repair the damage to your truck if they accept that it is the jeeps fault.

I think the first estimate of the damage has to be around 70% of the total value of the vehicle before they consider totalling it. Their assumption is that there could easily be 30% of hidden damage, and they play the odds.

Get some written estimates for your knowledge. Understand they are going to use the cheapest parts they can find to repair your truck. Had someone hit my GMC (civilian) truck bumper, and the replacement had more dimples then the one that was hit. They said that was all that was available, and ended up just giving me cash and me keeping my dimpled bumper.

TXM1009

I got rear ended in my m1009 about a month ago when traffic stopped short in front of me. I did get stopped buy the Honda pilot behind me didn't. I learned that the old 1009 will lock up the brakes in a panic stop and Honda Pilot front ends are designed to crush. They paid me $212, said they would pay a shop to pull the bumper back out and repaint it. The bumper was pushed in a little on the drivers side. I was surprised the pilot's radiator wasn't leaking and the hood stayed latched.

jmro

well my truck will need a new bumper, ds fender, hopefully door, brush guard and they may be able to fix the hood, and anything I can't see. With that said I called my insurance company but have to wait till Tuesday to talk to my agent.
I need to write some reminders down and put them in my vehicles kinda like an accident check list. I know I am not the only person that forgets little things like to get the vin and pics of the other car/driver.