• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone installed a remote start system in their HMMWV?

Pisquinii

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone installed a remote start system in their HMMWV? If yes, which did you use and how did it work out...Thanks in advance.

ovilla

I spoke with my installer who has done four Viper Smart Start installs on my cars and he said it can be done. He said that it’s like installing a 12v alarm in that you would have to bring all voltage inputs down from 24 to 12v and also be able to do the reverse for 12v relays that will operate lights and the starter. A couple of folks have asked him so he’s researched it a bit but hasn’t actually completed one yet.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s not that easy, when cold, it will have to wait or know when to wait 9 seconds for glow plugs to cycle.
gas motors don’t have to wait.

Lazboytt

It’s not that easy, when cold, it will have to wait or know when to wait 9 seconds for glow plugs to cycle.
gas motors don’t have to wait.
I was thinking you could use a normal diesel set up with the relays to convert over the 24 V and you’ll probably have to use and power reducers to go from 24 V to 12 V. It would have to be connected up to the weight like to trigger it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure I would ever want to. As far as heat, you can wire a 110V or 220V electric heater to warm vehicle interior on a timer and you can use a block heater to warm the drivetrain. There are 24 Volt units that you can place on a timer while using a NATO plug to keep batteries charged.

There are even ways to blow warm air in through a window to avoid using interior electric warmer, if you're afraid of fire hazard.

Personally, block heater or Webasto is the way to go IMHO.

MHO... YMMV

JoeJrTheBarber

A buddy of mine who works at a high end car stereo / detail / etc place here in IL is looking into this for me.
Seems as easy as picking up a system designed for a 12volt diesel pickup application and using a 24/12 convertor.
We shall see once he digs into my truck...

Lazboytt

A buddy of mine who works at a high end car stereo / detail / etc place here in IL is looking into this for me.
Seems as easy as picking up a system designed for a 12volt diesel pickup application and using a 24/12 convertor.
We shall see once he digs into my truck...
If he makes it work I would be interested as well. I’m not that far from Illinois please keep me posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk