• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone installed an electric brake cutoff for reversing on their surge brakes?

1stDeuce

Have you noticed a problem backing up? I'm not familiar with the brakes on the 416A1, but generally, trailer brakes work poorly at best in reverse, so it isn't as much of an issue. If the 416A1 has a pin that you install to back up, then that definitely wouldn't be the case, and you may indeed want to install an electric solenoid lockout.
Chris

Chief_919

Have you noticed a problem backing up? I'm not familiar with the brakes on the 416A1, but generally, trailer brakes work poorly at best in reverse, so it isn't as much of an issue. If the 416A1 has a pin that you install to back up, then that definitely wouldn't be the case, and you may indeed want to install an electric solenoid lockout.
Chris
Yeah, in rough terrain on backing it definitely grabs especially up hill or wheel the wheel hit a large rock.

Gonna give it a try.

rustystud

Backing up a hill can apply the brakes in a surge type system. I once had to have my buddy tow the back of the trailer with his truck as I backed up. It looked like he was towing me up hill backwards with his little truck.

evldoer

My boat trailer has a solenoid on the brake line. When in reverse, the solenoid is energized via the back up lights and blocks the pressure from going to the brake calipers.
You could start your search with a boat trailer supply house to get some answers, if you haven't already.

Chief_919

My boat trailer has a solenoid on the brake line. When in reverse, the solenoid is energized via the back up lights and blocks the pressure from going to the brake calipers.
You could start your search with a boat trailer supply house to get some answers, if you haven't already.
I got the one at the link, going to install it as part of a full brake system rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks