• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone installed one 24v Battery Tender on a Deuce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are better off charging each battery separately.

greg burns

67m:
Last winter I purchased the battery tender model that serves two 12 volt batteries at a time. I think it was around $75 dollars. My M35A2 is in storage all winter. I just hooked one bank of the battery tender to each battery. Just to be cautious I disconnected the cable between the two batteries. After the winter the batteries showed as being perfectly charged and the truck started right up.

dittle

Do each battery seperately like DH said, they may not charge equally causing damage to one of them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solargizers are not the same as a battery maintainer/charger.

Hoefler

I have the battery minder 24 volt with remp sensor on my trucks. They have a setting range from 1 to 4 amps. I left the power on in my duece with the inst lights on for a weekend. Voltage in the batteries was 11 volts. I first tried re-charge with the Minder. It did not work. I instead charged each battery up with a regular charger, then put the minder on it for several days. Worked perfect.
I have several trucks and use the minder on each on a rotating basis. I also use it the keep our scissor lift charged. Works great and have never killed a battery.
You can also use a 12 volt minder and charge batteries in parallel.
Pete

dmetalmiki

Charging

I use 24 volt De-Sulphators on all my trucks. And a 24 volt one on the underfloor nikes for the inverter in the reo. Once FULLY charged they maintain the batteries ok and in fact two old 12 volt 120 Amp volvo frieght truck batteries "came back to life" after 4 weeks from flat to full using a 24 volt desulphator.

The work by pulsating a charge/frequency and are coupled ALL the time standing or running.

They are used in conjunction with a trickle charger when NOT running/driving.

I think I have a post with detail and pictures if you check. (or can take more if asked)

Darwin T

i installed one of these on my Optima dual purpose batteries about 3 years ago and everything works fine.

BatteryMINDer 24 Volt OnBoard Desulphator / Conditioner: BatteryMart.com

it desulphates anytime the altenator is charging the batteries. then all you have to do to attach the 24 volt batteryminder above (in #7) is pull the water proof cap and plug it in and put the cap back on. make sure to unplug it before driving off. (and no i did not do that)

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Wintertime or indoor storage definately minimizes sunshine. Solargizers need sunlight.

Mine is covered with snow all winter!

HF has elcheapo 12v battery maintainers for around $5 ea. They work well.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce came from GL with a 24v battery maintainer mounted under the passenger seat ,with a hole drilled in the floor for wires and wired to the batteries . Unfortionutly it didn't work .

Tulsafireman

I have the one your looking at. It worked great on my M-1009 until I converted it to 12V. Was going to keep it until I buy an M35A3 but dont know if that will ever happen. I'll sell it if your interested in going with the battery tender. PM me if you want it.

Gunner0311

Tecumseh

I have been using the TECUMSEH 24v charger that was originally designed for
personal mobility vehicles(Amigos, etc). Worked great until this past weekend.

After driving the M52A2 I hooked the charger back up to the batteries and heard "Snap-Crackle-Pop". I disconnected the charger from the batteries(still not plugged
in to 110v power) and opened the passenger door to find the charger was "fried" with smoke bellowing from it!

So much for that investment,:roll:

Thinking about another trickle style charger, but now apprehensive....auaauaaua

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 24V Battery tender on the two batteries in my M38A1. I leave it plugged in all winter. this is the second winter, no problem yet. I leave the batteries hooked up, I have the quick connect leads bolted on to the positive terminal of one batt and neg of the other. Then, I just plug the quick connect together and plug in the tender. I have no pictures as it is at my summer place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks