• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone put a gear vendor in their truck?

farmerjohnson

Im looking to get a gear vendor for my truck to get more milage out of it. i would go for a 700r4 conversion but i still want to be able to pull without having to rebuild transmissions every year. I was wondering if anyone has put one in thier m1008 and what the milage increase is. Only downfall to the gear vendor is that its kinda pricey but i wonder if i wouldn't save money over time.

bugei

gear vendor

fwiw, i have a gear vendor in my "horse hauler". which is a ford f350 crew cab dually 4X4, with a very hot gas motor. the gear vendor sits behind a e40d which is also over driven.

bottom line, the gear vendor is a great piece of equipment. it is amazing, i think last time i talked to gear vendor, they told me that it could easily take over 1000 hp with no problem. i can split gears forever and double over drive is well past the max of the speedo. i am not sure if it is an easier fix than changing transmissions tho.

Phily

fwiw, i have a gear vendor in my "horse hauler". which is a ford f350 crew cab dually 4X4, with a very hot gas motor. the gear vendor sits behind a e40d which is also over driven.

bottom line, the gear vendor is a great piece of equipment. it is amazing, i think last time i talked to gear vendor, they told me that it could easily take over 1000 hp with no problem. i can split gears forever and double over drive is well past the max of the speedo. i am not sure if it is an easier fix than changing transmissions tho.
1000 hp of diesel. 2000hp of gas. I'm guessing more, they just put limits on it to cover there ares. I believe the entire gear train is solid billet steel. There really isn't much to them. It's just a O/D. Perfect idea for these trucks, not sure how they'll bolt up however.

Stalwart

They aren't reliable over about 25,000, especially when in reverse. They are very torque limited and for a CUCV there would not be any issues. I wanted one for my '08 F450 that I tow the green toys with, but I often go over 36,000 lb., they don't recommend that.

2deuce

I think they mount on the back of the transfer case to be used in 2wd. I don't see the need for it in 4wd anyway. To use it as a gear splitter seems unlikely as it must shift abruptly. For freeway overdrive it would be nice.

2deuce

If it did mount between the trans and t-case bet there would be alot of problems with linkage, both drivelines, and crossmember location.

Stalwart

They just apply an electronic lockout when the transfer case is shifted to 4WD, both low and high range. They really are a nicely designed and made unit, I just wish there was one of higher torque capacity.

m4A1

I have one on my 1028 and love it. I don't drive it enough to get a good reading on mileage but it is muck more pleasant to drive on highways. It mounts behind the trans case.

dunedigger

I have one on my 1028 and love it. I don't drive it enough to get a good reading on mileage but it is muck more pleasant to drive on highways. It mounts behind the trans case.

Interested in this setup too. If you get some spare time to post a pic of it that would be cool:grin:

Stalwart

I was wondering how long it'd take you guys to find out how expensive they are. The payback is in the MANY 10's of thousands of miles. You don't use them to save money unless it is your daily driver and you drive a LOT!

m4A1

If you are lucky you can find a suburban with a Gearvendor attached to a 208 and transfer it and sell the rest of the sub. Cost can go down to nothing.

I wired the foot switch to the blackout light swithc instead of using a foot switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

gaunt1969

:soapbox: If I spend $2600 on something that cost less than $2600 to start with. It will be on one **** of hooker for me, not the **** truck.

You fellas are fanatics on your trucks, rofl

Last edited:

acesneights1

2600$ is not that bad. First off let's rule out a TH700r4 swap cause we all know at best they are junk and still cost upwards of 1500$ to build a newer one(if you can find one) and install. So gthe other decent option is a 4l80e with a stand alone. Gonna cost you about 1500+ to buy and build one of those and then a stand alone compushift computer will be another 800+ so you are right up where the GV unit is not to mention 2600$ is direct buy from them. You can get them for about 22-2300 from a GV dealer. Also by using a GV you are keeping your CUCV non computerized. We all know what an EMP does to those ....
When funds allow my vote goes for the GV and I have put alot of thought into it. Then you keep the reliablity of the TH400 which can be rebuilt for about 300$ OTC. I would not bother doing for for fuel mileage but more for over the road drivabilty.