• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone put casters on their 802 or 803?

m32825

Demoh,

Thanks for the pictures. This is the direction I'm going, because it's "welding season" in Florida!

:beer:

Are those the 6" or 8" wheels?

-- Carl

Demoh

6 inch, I didnt want the center of gravity too high.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660391_200660391

Oh and the price went back down, now is the time to buy them. (they sometimes hover around $45-$50 each)

And indeed it is. Need to get my welder back together soon.

BTW the metal wheel casters are the best. No caster lasts forever, however when the poly or rubber falls off, the caster becomes more desirable because it doesnt have anyway else to fail. An old-timer explained this to me when I said "oh, I dont want those casters because the rubber came off".... Now that I am older and wiser sometimes I am half tempted to just shave off the "expendable" part of the caster so I have something I wont have to deal with down the road.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about or installed pneumatic casters so they can be rolled about over rougher terrain than concrete floors? While I have mine currently fixed to the trailer it came with, I am thinking about a smaller rollable version with something other than HMMMV wheels and tires.
I think the bolt pattern is a trailer tire I don’t know to much about bolt patterns but I had seen a mep 893a at Walmart with trailer rims and tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoh

8 lug GM or Ford wheels will work I believe. Easy to find some used 16" steel wheels on Craigslist or Facebook .
8x6.5 is the bolt pattern for the trailers that use the hmmwv wheels. Dont get 99-up ford 8 lug which would be 8x170, 8x200 or 8x225.... They really need to stick to something. Actually E series vans used 8x6.5 because my 2006 has that bolt pattern. Ive graduated to medium duty recently but the ford 10 lug is still not "industry" standard.

I actually have a set of 4 8x6.5 aluminum off that van that I need to get rid of (didnt have the heart to scrap them)... I may have to test fit to see if the clearance for the drum works with those. I dont see why it wouldnt.

One point, I think if there were pneumatic casters you would have so much rolling resistance it would be very hard to push/pull unless you aired those tires up well past their max. Yes running over a zip tie will no longer bring you to a halt, but my 140lb self with a running start probably wouldnt be able to start it rolling on soft casters.

I picked up my set today, they were shipped to the local store. When the guy rolled them up front on a cart all of the people in line did a double-take and started talking amongst themselves. These babies do not disappoint!

:beer:
How did you mount them any pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good setup!

Just so you know, that steel on aluminum combination will corrode over time because of dissimilarity of metals.

The bolt holes will also develop corrosion and elongate. Adding a coating of Noalox will slow down or eliminate the corrosion.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just so you know if you look close see there's a small thin piece of rubber that protects the aluminum from the steel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It actually looks like a shadow on that piece of metal so it is very hard to determine that it's a thin piece of rubber there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks