• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has ANYONE rotated their exhaust pipe?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I loosened the top of the exhaust pipe, the one that has the ninety degree bend at the top.

I actually removed it and THEN started the engine. Much quieter, BUT exhaust smoke level started about the top of the hood and went straight up. No big deal sitting in my driveway, but I'm CONFIDENT that on the road, the passenger side would be 'painted black' with soot fairly soon.

So back on the top pipe went. BEFORE I tightened it down, I rotated it 360 degrees, trying to find the 'quietest' spot to have the exhaust flow. Pointing the top of the pipe back OVER the cab seemed to be the quietest, BUT again, if I ever remove the hard top the exhaust could fill the cab fairly quickly.

So I kept experimenting. I finally settled on 180 degrees from where I had it pointing over the cab. This meant that the exhaust now pointed forward at an angle. This was the second quietest position.

In talking with my neighbor after he looked at it, he asked, "Won't that mean you are forcing air back down the pipe, perhaps creating some form of backpressure?"

After looking at it a while longer, I agreed. So I rotated it about 45 degrees from that point. So NOW my exhaust pipe points to the rear, but it's NOT 90 degrees to the hood, which is how I got it and how MOST of the deuces I've seen are also set up. By rotating it backward about twenty degrees from it's original position, the sound inside the cab is reduced. I will have to go out and purchase a decibel meter to see HOW much less.

Just curious if anyone else has played with how their exhausts flows and what it does to the sound of the exhaust.

houdel

I also have my exhaust pipe stack rotated about 45 degrees to the rear. Haven't had it out on the road since I moved it, still waiting on my historical plate approval. I did spend some time driving it to compact the soil where I will be building a barn, and it did seem quieter than before.

Actually, I put mine on that way because I read it one of the TMs (9-2320-316-20 I think) said that is the way it is supposed to be installed, although I agree most all Deuces I have seen have the stack pointed 90 degrees to the right.

red devils dude

your basically doing what farm's have done for years on there tractors, point the exhaust forward much
quieter but going it to the wind rain etc not good so now they mostly point them back 45° like you did
no soot less noise just right.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, took her out for a spin. Other than having to keep the passengers window up, much quieter. Even with the window down, I think it was quieter.

Gotta get that DB meter and find out.

jim

eddiec

i ended up turning mine straight out from the pass side, it helped a lot inside. my son and i can now carry on a conversation while driving down the highway. heck, i can even hear the phone ring, and kinda hold a conversation with Mike when he calls. i didn't turn it forward for the reasons of forcing air - rain into it. and for the reason that straight to the side will push the exhaust, and all the oil-fuel spray the farthest away from the truck.

JDToumanian

I'm pretty sure I read in the TM somewhere that the exhaust is *supposed* to be pointed 45 degrees out and to the rear, but I often see it at 90. Mine came from the Army at 45...

Regards,
Jon