• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone run a GPS to check their speedo?

scrambled

I just bolted on my 37 goodyears on Trail Worthy Fab recentered humvee wheels (awesome!!!!) and went for a spin with my Tomtom to check the speedo. I am only 3 MPH faster than the needle at 45. How far under was I before with the little 235/85s?

Has anyone run a GPS to verify the speedo in their 1008? I am too lazy to swap the tires back over and go for a spin.

Thanks,
Travis

donalloy1

never been down that road. sounds like fun though! my speedo is all over the place due bad cable i think. cant wait to get steady reading. auadml2 sends...

K9Vic

My speed reading is off and slowly increases as I go faster per my GPS speed. When I am going like 65 my speed shows as about 85, but when I am going like 30 it shows at about 38. I have a brand new cable, so I suspect the speedometer is what is bad. I have an extra one, but the miles is 54k and my truck only has 31k. So when I am on the highway I just use my GPS for my speed.

wikallen

never been down that road. sounds like fun though! my speedo is all over the place due bad cable i think. cant wait to get steady reading. auadml2 sends...

The speedo gear in the transfer case on my 88 suburban was plastic. I assume it is the same on the m1009. Easy to replace. Take the cable off the transfer case, pull the end off the transfer case, slide the gear off, and slide a new one on.

rnd-motorsports

Just put in a power outlet to run tomtom I have 750 / 16 daytom tires and was shocked to see speedo is about perfect with the tom tom very cool! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

91W350

My speed reading is off and slowly increases as I go faster per my GPS speed. When I am going like 65 my speed shows as about 85, but when I am going like 30 it shows at about 38. I have a brand new cable, so I suspect the speedometer is what is bad. I have an extra one, but the miles is 54k and my truck only has 31k. So when I am on the highway I just use my GPS for my speed.
It should be directly proportionate to your speed, say it reads 66 on the speedometer and it is actually running 60, at half that it should be 33 and 30. Ten percent in this example. There are some exceptions though, if the cable is binding and snapping forward, the needle will read much higher than speed as it is kicked up by the faster pulses.

All three of mine read faster than they are actually running. It may be where some of the M1009 guys are saying they run 75 and the engine sounds fine, because mine are both way off. Good for the 6.2, let them think they are running 75-80 while it is quietly humming away at a much lower rpm.

Oddly though, the odometers are very close. On my M1008 it takes about 35 miles to gain a 1/10th of a mile on the Interstate. When I came home from Utah, I knew my speedometer was way off, but I could not find error in my odometer.

Glen

Shop Rat Fab

Here are the results of the lifted trucks I've had with bigger tires:
33 inch tall, speedo read about 3MPH slower than I was going
35 inch tall around 5MPH slower
37 inch tall aound 6-7 MPH slower
I never regeared the axles or speed gear just left them alone and just added larger tires. Keep in mind the odometer will register lower miles than you actually travel.

AndrewH

I run a gps in the M1009 most of the time. The speedometer has gotten an additude and onlt works when it wants to. Usually reads about 8 percent slow. Did a 150 mile trip this weekend and the odometer difference between the GPS and truck was about 10 miles. Completly stock truck. Except the 12V outlet...... And winch... and...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks