• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone sourced the MEP803a generator end bearing?

rvsuper8

The manual says that the top cover and control panel all have to come out and the generator to be removed. But it would seem like the bell housing would come off through the access doors in the front. But I've been tapping on my bellhousing trying to get it off and it seems pretty stuck on there. My question is, does the generator have to be removed from the enclosure in order to replace the bearing. Seems the end bell housing below would slip out enough to just replace the bearing. But Im unable to tap the bell housing off. It has moved bout 1/8". But then it stopped.

IMG_20210314_133206649.jpg

Last edited:

rvsuper8

OK Update. You were correct. It was hung up on the bearing. There were 2 keys to my success.
1. Remove the center support for the 2 access doors. This gave me access to the center of the generator.
2. Put some tension on the bell housing while simultaneously hitting the outside of the bearing with a rivet gun.

She slowly came out without damaging anything.
I can not get a bearing puller behind it. And my 2 jaw and 3 jaw wont take the bearing off even with some heat. So Ill get to cutting it off.
Thanks for all the advice. Ill report back my results to see if the sound was this bearing. Im still skeptical.
My local NAPA had the bearing in stock.

IMG_20210314_171045318.jpg

IMG_20210314_171049587.jpg
IMG_20210314_172526470.jpg

rvsuper8

Success.
Had to cut the bearing out. Here are a couple of tips.
1. Remove the left access door
2. Unbolt the terminal board and move it aside
3. Remove the door hinge center section. It will take some doing and a bit of bending, but it will come out.
4. Remove the generator cover plate
5. Remove the bell housing nuts.
If the bell housing will not pull out leaving the bearing behind, put some straps and blocking on it as shown in the previous pics. Put some tension on the bell housing and tap the outer bearing towards the radiator. I used a hammer gun/pneumatic hammer judiciously.

On reinstalling, I heated the bearing to 275 and tapped her in. Cleaned the bell housing bearing receiver and it slid back on no problem.
Thanks for all the advice. The 'maybe sounds like a bearing sound' is gone.

IMG_20210316_095101048.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Good job partner! I have been following the thread, but did not think to say:

1. Remove the left access door
2. Unbolt the terminal board and move it aside
3. Remove the door hinge center section. It will take some doing and a bit of bending, but it will come out.
4. Remove the generator cover plate
5. Remove the bell housing nuts.

You had enough help, and all of it was good. Good write up and pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks