• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone swaped the rear axle for the high pinion ?

1951M1078

Has anyone done the high mounted pinion axle swap ? Could not find a link. Seams the newer trucks are getting it to help the driveshaft problem ? And if this was to be done can it also get the 3.07 gears ? Not to worried about the gear change if it cant.
Randy

coachgeo

Has anyone done the high mounted pinion axle swap ? Could not find a link. Seams the newer trucks are getting it to help the driveshaft problem ? And if this was to be done can it also get the 3.07 gears ? Not to worried about the gear change if it cant.
Randy
Think a 6x6 axle can get the gear change from what have read here but don't quote me without searching to verify. See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126883-FMTV-High-Speed-Gears/page17 and other threads

Don't know if anyone has done such an axle swap yet. Most seem to Poo Poo the idea for various reasons; me included. Why would someone swap them 1) if you're intending to see many many hours beyond listed service intervals, such as doing massive off-road hours along with massive on-road hours between service cause you're traveling across country etc. 2) If your leaving options open to ever do #1; which is my situation. 3) realistic reality of when you will do maintenance is far beyond what the TM's say you should do. Otherwise as has been mentioned many a time... proper service done by following TM's by the book and one would be fine 99% of the time with the typical setup as is. So odds are huge no swap is neccissary.

Seems the axle they use in the newer ones is not available yet. It would most likely be different in a few areas (spring/shock mounts, Power Divider diff. lock)

To use one from a 6x6 that are presently available you have to have the spring perches on the axle tubes completely reworked so it will properly mate with existing springs and shock setups on the 4x4. Also believe you will have to activate the lock on the 6x6 axle's Power Divider Box via its air activated switch. Not a big deal... just be aware of it*. I've bought an axle from a 6x6 to do this but not yet done so. Shop who repaired my tranny was not interested in taking on the task. They don't do Fabrication work. Suspect a "very" good 4x4 fab shop that has done many many "Spring over axle fabrications" on truck axles could do this kind of work since essentially the fab work to be done is pretty much the same. Granted they would have to be a shop that can deal with an axle that weighs a full ton compared to an axle that ways 300 lbs or so.

* see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tion-on-1083&p=1946304&viewfull=1#post1946304

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A friend of mine did it for one of his customers. He said the rear axle was moved forward a bit for tighter turning. The owner is making it into a plow truck.

coachgeo

This one has an intermediate axle in place of the original rear.
Any info on the conversion? Judging by length of chassis is that a 6x6 modified to a 4x4?

oops..... answered while typing. Keep getting distracted while typing responses lol.

Will, if you get the chance would love it if you could get a picture of his fabrication and any input he might have. I know your busy though.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a 4x4 the rear axle is just moved forward. I don't think there was much to it. Move axle and associated support forward and make a shorter driveshaft to fit. Used the same rear axle that you got. I have more of them new and used.

coachgeo

???? Confused. Thought you were saying this was the Axle with the Power Divider box swapped in place of the standard A1, A0 rear axle? Or did it start off as an A1 P2? that already had the Power Divider Box type axle on it and he just slid it forward? If am understanding what you describe that seems to be the case.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a m1078. Original rear was removed I think it had issues. They used one of my power divider rears in place of the original rear but mounted it a bit forward so it would have a better turn radius for plowing.

coachgeo

It's a m1078. Original rear was removed I think it had issues. They used one of my power divider rears in place of the original rear but mounted it a bit forward so it would have a better turn radius for plowing.
Ok, when you said

It's a 4x4 the rear axle is just moved forward. I don't think there was much to it. .....
you confused me. True moving the axle forward seems not to big a deal. Measure and drill new holes and move things up. But fabricating the 6x6 axle spring perches etc. though while not "complicated" is still a bit of a large task it would seem. Would love to see his fabrication on spring perches etc.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I will see if I can get a pic. My buddy does that type of stuff on a regular basis so it wouldn't be a big deal to fab or mod suspension stuff.

coachgeo

thanks for the pic offer. If understand what Steve6x6x6 wrote, also curious to how your friend set up the air switch so not to be driving around in front wheel drive unknowingly.

coachgeo

4x4 does not have the air line to rear. With no axle behind it, wouldn't matter.
hmmmmm. Not according to Steve if I understand him right. Seems he is saying; just like any other differential.. power is sent to what is spinning the most. With no rear driveshaft to another axle attached, then this will create in effect a "spinning" axle and all power will be sent to it, thus no power sent to the non slip axle' which is only axle you have. So in essence, the only axle you have; without the locker on, is getting no drive forces. See post 14 then again starting at 17

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tion-on-1083&p=1946304&viewfull=1#post1946304

Granted I could still be totally confused.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks