• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone thought about converting to an electric air pump?

Lonesome715

A buddy of mine and I have been debating on whether or not I should scrap my mechanical air pump in favor of an electric one on my deuce. I see both pros and cons for this mod and I was wondering if anyone else here has done it. If so how do you like it? What are some of the benefits you have noticed?

Here are some things I see about the swap.

Pros:
Easier to replace and service (especially on the side of the road/trail)
Faster tank fill
Installs almost anywhere
Cheaper to replace than the mechanical pump
Removes a small amount of parasitic lost from the engine

Cons:
Doing away with proven mechanical reliability
More likely to fail without warning
Can be damaged easier off road

Lonesome715

I was thinking I would have to upgrade the charging system anyway. I have other mods in mind later on that will I think over tax the existing system.

Lonesome715

One of the reasons this subject came up has to do with the air pump I am trying to rebiuld now. I had a lot of help tracking down the seal kit I needed but I am now afraid to trust this thing after getting off the phone with the company that sold me the kit. There are some things I want to modernize and some I think should be left alone. This air pump is one I am on the fence with.

Capt.Marion

It already works pretty darn well the way it is, which is also the setup that the truck's air system was engineered to work with. I'd leave it be, or replace/rebuild your compressor if it is performing poorly.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical failure = no brakes = no thanks.

The engine will run with no electricity, but if your air is electric, you won't be able to stop it. You would be adding yet another single point of failure for the braking system...like it doesn't already have enough flaws.

Lonesome715

Another reason I was thinking about this is becuase of the stuff I want to ad. For example I am getting a set of air ride seats for almost nothing and that are brand new. Also, it takes forever and a day to air up tire with the air system that is on there. Is there maybe a bigger mechanical pump that would work?

berserker

Normally one would install an accumulator and check valves but pumps ought be closely matched in output, regulated. That's how it works in other fields. I'm new here so for trucks am not certain

berserker

Seems like extra effort IMHO. They would need to be compatible......Tied in together, kinda like some of the mods for pre- oilers? I think they're called. bit of work, extra even. Really worth it? Instances like this I personally would follow those whom have forged ahead:cookoo: By the same token I'm hoping to do something comparable for using air tools and having fully self sufficient deuce. ie. able to fill tires use impacts

Tlauden

Here's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Leave the stock system in place to run the "truck" so to say (ex: brakes, stock horn, anything else stock on the truck)

For all your additional air accessories (seats, extra horn, running air tools, etc) go buy a DOT approved tank and air compressor of your choice. Plenty of spots to mount an additional tank. And if you electric compressor fails then you won't be trying to figure out how to get home with no brakes.

mudguppy

the electric compressor system will need to be quite large and likely a dual system. likely something similar to the Viair dual 450 setup if you are trying to match/replace the cfm of an engine driven compressor.

otherwise, i'm not sure why you would want/need an electric system to augment the mechanical pump; the aux air tank is a better candidate to pull accessory air from.

and all this other nonsense about no electric = no brakes is just that; this is the same reason that the OE system incorporates a tank and low pressure alarm. so if your electrical system goes out, you can drive until air pressure is too low, just like when the mechanical pump takes a dump. the likelyhood of either scenario of failure is about the same.

this argument has about the same credibility as the no engine power = no brakes in the hydro-boost discussion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks