• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone turbocharged their CUCV?

Knightmare

I saw an article in this month's Diesel World, which discussed turbocharging the old Ford NA diesels, and our beloved 6.2.

On the 6.2, torque jumped from ~260 to 380 ft-lbs, and hp rose from ~140 to 200!!

That sounds like a pretty big difference to me, and I was wondering if anyone here had actually put a turbo kit of some kind on their rig.

I know these things aren't built to be fast, but you can't help but wonder what it's like with some extra juice under the hood.

kipman

I know of one member that installed a Banks kit on his. He is known as joeypusher on the site, pm him and he will help you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going with JATO rockets, myself. I don't need more top end, just takeoff power. Turbo's have limits....

steved454

JATO is an acronym for Jet-fuel Assisted Take Off. It is a system for helping overloaded aircraft into the air by providing additional thrust in the form of small rockets.

hovenga67

I turboed mine I used a 6.5 manifold. Holset turbo and tial external wastegate. Really woke it up, it can actually get out of its own way. I pull a 4000 pound trailer plus the load on it. does good now.
Brent

niferous

I turboed mine I used a 6.5 manifold. Holset turbo and tial external wastegate. Really woke it up, it can actually get out of its own way. I pull a 4000 pound trailer plus the load on it. does good now.
Brent
So all you needed was a 6.5's manifold, a turbo, and an external westgate? How did you route the exhaust?

CA_CUCV

I put an ATS kit on my 1008. The factory gears and big tires were killing me. Huge difference in power, it could use a little more bottom end, but I'm happy for now.

The kit uses a t3/t4 turbo that's matched to the engine, so it doesn't use a wastegate (I think the banks kit is the same just with a t3 exhaust) The boost tops out at 16 psi.

here's a picture of the kit:

niferous

Does ATS make the kit anymore? I can't find it anywhere on their site. I'd be interested to know how much it costs compared to the Banks kit. Also from what I hear Banks won't be selling their version much longer.

hovenga67

I used a 6.5 turbo crossover pipe, but had to modify it to use my 6.2 drivers side manifold. You could just use both 6.5 turbo manifolds and a stock crossover. I made my own down pipe and stuff. 3in down pipe and 4in. exhaust I had to cut a little bit of the floor so the down pipe would fit.
Brent

PackRatWrecker

I am told, by the diesel guru I used to bend exhaust for, that a 6.2 will see more gains from headers, open exhaust, and an early 6.5 mechanical pump, than from a turbo.

That's just what I'm told.

1986Blazerk5

I really want a turbo on my M1009, alot of people have installed a turbo, alot of people use the 6.5 manifold and all the stuff can be had for around $800

SmokeyDod

I have the Banks on my M1028 for 2 yrs and it make a huge difference in power. I bought a used one . The Banks won't give up 16 # boost. Mine is 8-10# range but when pulling a trailer with a load it makes an unbelieveable difference. The 6.2 will absolutely die on an upgrade if you are pulling 8000-12000 lb load but with the Banks it carries it well.
It just makes the truck much more of a pleasure to drive.

If you're putting 16# of boost on this engine with 22:1 comp. you might want to check for oil leaks and hope bottom end holds together.

btrapr

As far as i know the Military psitons had a .010" shorter wrist pion which lowered the compression to 20:1 THEY are not 21.3 like std 6.2 engines.

<DIV id=EBdescription><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Militray part information____

<SPAN class=ps39><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">2815012465268