• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has GL ever answered any simple questions ??

jason@snakeriver

Now on the GL auctions, they have an spot where you can ask a question about any particular item. I have asked two simple answers and on the first one, they refered me a phone # of a guy that does previews. On the second one, I asked for the measurement of a frame, where all you had to do was walk out the door with a tape measure and take a simple measurement.
The answer I got was that the information was not available, but I could scedule a preview.
Why bother posting this, if no one is going to bother to accomadate ? ?

Now on the GL auctions, they have an spot where you can ask a question about any particular item. I have asked two simple answers and on the first one, they refered me a phone # of a guy that does previews. On the second one, I asked for the measurement of a frame, where all you had to do was walk out the door with a tape measure and take a simple measurement.
The answer I got was that the information was not available, but I could scedule a preview.
Why bother posting this, if no one is going to bother to accomadate ? ?
I would try asking questions instead of answers (they may not be Jeopardy fans).:beer:

I don't blame them for not providing you with a measurement. Measurements can be interpreted/conveyed incorrectly. They don't want to give you information that may be faulty. You need to stick to questions that have simple yes/no answers.

I have used the question feature twice recently and I was very pleased with the answers I received and the timely manner in which I received them.

wsucougarx

I can answer this. Simply not enough manpower and not enough hours in the day. I know for a fact the GL guys at JBLM are stretched pretty thin. They basically only have ONE guy doing ALL the yard work. He has to inventory, load out, list, and basically do everything. All the warehouse guys stay indoors...go figure. They simply don't have enough time to answer all the questions. The question portion is something the buys in AZ came up with. Believe me if it was a site option, it'd be gone;-).

lindyp38

what does it mean when they say.......they will provide flat bed trailer load only....?
can i go there and pick up a trailer with my truck..and drive away......?

or do i need to go there with someone else who has a flat bed trailer.....?

exbrown

They have answered questions for me. That being said, they are usually very busy, and may not have the time.

Keep in mind that this is an auction. They are not retail sales clerks, and the "Due Diligence" falls on the purchaser.

ALL4GLH

Every question that I've asked has usually been answered correctly. However, most of my questions weren't related to the actual item. I am close enough to preview things on my own.

A side question. Is snake river an actual river or the name of a company? I only ask because of a housing I have for my GoPro.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measurements on military stuff is available in the TM's, if you are diligent. And, if you want the full specifications, do a Google search of the NSN. You will find plenty of sites that will provide that information, for a fee. I just looked up some connecting rods, turns out they are for a 12 cylinder engine (one of the hits was for the TM on the engine).

jason@snakeriver

I guess that I am expecting too much.

My son and I are Snake River 4x4 at snakeriver4x4.com
The Snake River is the largest river in Idaho and we are registered as such with the State of Idaho.
I run 8 - M-800 and M-900 series trucks on our farm.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they have the question field so they can further remove themselves from any liability. "OK, you are not satisfied with your acquisition. Did you ask us any questions beforehand, did you inspect, or did you just bid blindly based upon the pictures?" At least that is my thought...

3dAngus

Yeah, they answer questions all the time and are very diligent of at least reading each and every post made to them. It doesn't mean they are going to answer a question of measurement as every site is different and that is something you should go to the site and do your site inspection on, or perhaps, find in a tech manual. They have better things to do at most sites. It is rare, but in some instances at some sites they may actually give a measurement if there is any question of ambiguity in their auction notice that is posted.

If you use the phone number of the site rep then you have your answer, or, at least the answer as to why they will not provide you with the answer. Call.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you asking questions to the people out in Arizona or a the site where the equipment is located?

This is why I cultivate good relationships with GL folks that are on the ground at the places where I do business. I can call them and ask specific questions and if they have time they will usually give me the intell I need.

I have found that an occasional box of doughnuts delivered to the site office buys a lot of good will.

You might also find someone near the GL site that does inspections for a fee. It's money well spent if it keeps you from bidding on a pig in a poke.

When it says "Flatbed loading only" it means that they will not load the item into a van trailer or high sided vehicle.

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

what does it mean when they say.......they will provide flat bed trailer load only....?
can i go there and pick up a trailer with my truck..and drive away......?

or do i need to go there with someone else who has a flat bed trailer.....?
I asked the same question recently and they told me yes you can tow a trailer off base and I heard of others say the same thing about FT MEAD in MD. So I plan on towing it back.. I would check first though as base rules may be different from base to base.

HanksDeuce

Yes. They were selling caged wall sections that I thought about using for dog kennels. No measurements were posted, so I asked them what size each caged section was. It took a few days, but they posted measurements before the auction was over.

Flyingvan911

If it is a question on a vehicle you might have a better chance finding the answer on here. The answer has either been posted by someone already or you can ask and someone will usually be able to help you out.

F18hornetM

I asked a question about tires. There were 11 lots for sale, all with the same picture of new, never used tires. My question was do all the lots look the same as those pictured. I got an answer from them that said yes all look the same with stickers still in the middle of the tread. They also gave me a number to call for a guy who would inspect for me, for a fee. So I was happy with all that and as it turns out. They were correct. All the pallets of tires looked alike. So far only bought an M813 and some tires from GL. Both events had no issues and went smoothly.

jason@snakeriver

I am looking at buying two more trucks in the next few days. Being 3 states away, we have to buy everything from the description and a gut feeling.

We have done fairly well and have worked through most of the problems that come with any truck.

Gov Liq came to our place and did a video a couple of weeks ago.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep asked what happened over night and got right back to me.
"Travis: We're having some technical difficulties and a lot of the lots have been removed but they shouldn't be, our IT department is currently working on fixing this issue. I do not have an estimated time. We have been in the office for less than an hour and are working to get it fixed as quick as possible for you. Lots that were scheduled to close today will be extended 24 hours. An email blast will be sent to all customers."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks